Herring bait prep

Yah for sure the ones we keep but I wonder about the ones that eat the bait and we miss. I know it doesn’t happen often. The dye I don’t think is all that bad really, not according to their web site anyways, not sure I would eat a pice of fish soaked in it lol. The tooth pick thing has me wondering though as I saw it demonstrated a couple days ago on a fishing video.
I don’t know each to his own for sure but like I said just something to ponder is all.
The tip of the toothpick goes into the teaserhead and it’s just 2-3mm. The fish never gets to devour the whole thing. 90% of the times they get hooked on the stinger. Not much to worry about the toothpick going into the fish guts.

The tip of the toothpick goes into the teaserhead and it’s just 2-3mm. The fish never gets to devour the whole thing. 90% of the times they get hooked on the stinger. Not much to worry about the toothpick going into the fish guts.

I think he is talking about jamming a toothpick or piece or wire into the spine of the bait to help maintain the curve not the toothpick that holds the line from slipping.

Never heard of sticking a toothpick into the bait. Put a piece of wire and don’t play with the sh*t

View attachment 56434

I don’t bother with either, don’t seem to have a problem getting my desired roll.

Like WIWF says I’m not worried about the holder tooth pick but there are guys that stick the whole tooth pick in along the spine for the bend.

But we are getting way off the original question which is my fault completely so before this gets to be a **** show like most run away topics do let’s leave it alone.

I misunderstood your initial post as I had not heard of that toothpick method before. You’re right, we’re digressing here Let’s take it back to what the OP’s question was.

For me, it’s putting the anchovies in a plastic container and salting the hell out of them. Usually 48hrs before the trip with layers of pickling salt. On the day of the trip, they go in a ziplock and sit on ice in a small cooler. Any leftover bait would go in the freezer/fridge with a sprinkle of fresh salt and they get used on the next trip. Last trip of the season, I get rid of the leftovers. No cured stinky bait in my freezer for next season and I only fish artificial for winter nookies.

Last edited:
Yes, but I usually use Canadian Tire pool salt from a 40lb sack. It lasts me years and is under $10.00 if you find it on sale. Good for icy sidewalks too. Sometimes I'll squirt some Mrs. Stewarts in a mayo jar of salt then shake it up then pour it in the the bait cooler with the baits. I just leave it in the boat for a 4-5 day trip. They dry out, but will re-hydrate as they twirl if they don't get hit first. No need to refrigerate, but beware of critters at night. Whole bait cooler goes in the freezer if they make it home.
Tubber, where u get that Mrs Stewart stuff , I have never used but my Bud fishing Barkleys Inlet swears by it

I got it at Safeway in Kelowna about 3 years ago, but haven't seen it there in a while. Call PNT/Richmond; they may have it. Parksville does I think. It just gives the bait a bit more shine. Not mandatory.

I use this. Get it at Cabelas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200830-200156_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200830-200156_Gallery.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 59
How much is the the over/under on boats At the Sandheads this Tuesday ?

Maybe I’ll run over and do a count

Never been there before

If the weather is good on Saturday, I'm going to say 200.

I don’t think so that’s like crazy good fishing or sockeye numbers. Plus the Americans can’t make the run.

I’m gonna say 100 or less for Tuesday, maybe 200 from the north arm to sandheads.

I don’t think so that’s like crazy good fishing or sockeye numbers. Plus the Americans can’t make the run.

I’m gonna say 100 or less for Tuesday, maybe 200 from the north arm to sandheads.
I agree for Tuesday. I could be off but I bet the weekend is really busy.

Yup , until no nets come out then its back to the cap alley , remember its not a sockeye opening, its the tale end of the Chinooks but it will be nice to get out FOR SURE. Americans ??? really ??

Cannon down riggers, WA registration counter over 20-30 before at sandheads. Again tho more in August the. September. Last year I was pretty much done fishing tho by September 10.

Back