Herring bait prep

I was just messing around bud @wolf , if i were in your shoes being a guide i would definitely be thinking a little different in saving money as you go through
volumes of stuff, where as i only use maybe 20 packs a year the boxes of salt is more then enough.. interested in seeing what pool salt is, i would definitely
make a change there...

I prefer wet brine, but use dry if in a pinch. I like to get the brine as salty as possible, there should still be salt crystals at the bottom.

Don’t bother with adding scents, but usually add Ms Stewarts to brighten them up or sometime use chartreuse dye. I’ve tried the skim milk powder but didn’t notice any difference and found that the Stewarts / dye seems to bind to the the proteins in the powder and not the bait.

Tip if you are using the chartreuse dye: If you find the brine going darker green add a bit of baking soda (1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon should do) and it will brighten right up. The chartreuse dye is pH sensitive and the baking soda raises the pH.

Do you brine herring that is used for halibut bait as well?

Do you brine herring that is used for halibut bait as well?
NO do not brine it as brining takes out the oils etc you want to fish it as is as you want all that stink on the halibut gear. it doesnt last that long anyways.. we bring herring and chovies to make them stiff for trolling and retain that shape for a bit hence thats why you see guys using wire in the teaser heads to keep bait firmer.

Boy we’ve had darn good luck the last few years using the liquid chartreuse from Pro Cure. Put half a jug in a small cooler or sealable container and I add extra salt to it, I just keep dumping the bait in there some of it ends up 3 or 4 days old. I started using it about 4 years ago and over that period it’s out fished natural 3 to 1 I bet maybe more. This is for Salmon I’m talking about though.

Never used powdered milk was just told that by another member years ago.... salt and Mrs Stewart’s is only way I go haaha

Fellas, where can I get this ms sewarts additive? Can anyone post a picture or a link to what the label looks like ?

I have a case of it ill sell you a bottle

Ever wonder what bait brined in denim dye does in a fishes guts after it eats it, can’t be good for it. How about guys that put a tooth pick in an Anchovy to help with the bend. When that fish eats that bait,, wood doesn’t break down. Imagine that fish trying to pass that 2” long piece of sharp wood through its anal.
Just something to think about.

Ever wonder what bait brined in denim dye does in a fishes guts after it eats it, can’t be good for it. How about guys that put a tooth pick in an Anchovy to help with the bend. When that fish eats that bait,, wood doesn’t break down. Imagine that fish trying to pass that 2” long piece of sharp wood through its anal.
Just something to think about.
lol

I have a case of it ill sell you a bottle
Thanks for the offer wolf. I have a very large bottle of chartreuse bright and tight dye that has uv enhancers that I need to go through first. Seems to work well for me as it also puts a nice shine to the bait. I'll pick up and try a bottle of ms stewarts on my next tackle order. I order a year or 2 worth of supplies from the US and get it shipped to Blaine WA. Saves me a ton of money compared to local prices. But with the border closed will have to wait till next year.

The fish is dead after i hook it....!!!! LOL LOL

Yah for sure the ones we keep but I wonder about the ones that eat the bait and we miss. I know it doesn’t happen often. The dye I don’t think is all that bad really, not according to their web site anyways, not sure I would eat a pice of fish soaked in it lol. The tooth pick thing has me wondering though as I saw it demonstrated a couple days ago on a fishing video.
I don’t know each to his own for sure but like I said just something to ponder is all.

Back