Help with Johnson 60hp thermostat replacement

jilett

I just inherited an '84 Johnson 60hp outboard from my grandfather (2stroke/2cylinder). It runs well but over heat alarm comes on after 10min. I thought to start with the basics and change the thermostat and impeller but I can't seem to find the thermostat. Can some one please help me located it. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The thermostat is in the cylinder head just below the bottom cylinder spark plug hole.

Go to shop2.evinrude.com and choose your model to view the diagram.

small hatch on rear of head- two bolts. buy the replacement kit with spring and gasket. try replacing the temp sensor first. its is cheaper and more likely to fail first. easy pry out with a screwdriver and plug in new rubber cork with pigtail wire.

Thanks for the info. If it's not the thermostat I'm going to try to tackel the impeller. Where is the temp sensor located. You think I should replace that before trying impeller?

Last edited by a moderator:
1) impellor first- located in lower leg
2) temp sensor- back of cylinder head-little rubber circle with a wire hanging out, sitting in a hole
3) thermostat- back of cylinder head
with that old an engine, get yourself a repair manual and do any maintenance that needs doing

If you had the specs. of the temp. sender ...you could put an ohmmeter on it and check cold and warmed up for an easy start of diagnosis

Back