Help with choosing my halibut gear...

What derby said.
I use the medium heavy trevela and it's got plenty of back bone
I use the same rod, I pulled up a 98#er back in 08 or 09 with no problems

I got into fishing halibut earlier than most and fish in an area with big fish compared to most offshore spots. I've tried most of the Penn,Shimano etc.lever drag geared reels and a few different rods. I can understand paying the big bucks if you plan on a tuna/halibut combo rod and reel, but if you want a rod and reel just for halibut and never plan on fishing tuna,there are much cheaper options available.First off,halibut are slugs,they will run and pull hard but I have yet to have one run towards me so fast that I couldn't keep up easily with a single action (non geared) reel.The bigger the fish the slower it comes up.I use a big 7 1/2 " single action Alvey reel boat rod that has a one way drag system (so not a knuckle buster) and a Penn Carnage rod. I also like the Peetz one piece roller rods converted to ceramic guides.This is how I avoid the "Wobble" that most people hate and women and kids can't handle at all.Old school I know ,but that's just me.

I got into fishing halibut earlier than most and fish in an area with big fish compared to most offshore spots. I've tried most of the Penn,Shimano etc.lever drag geared reels and a few different rods. I can understand paying the big bucks if you plan on a tuna/halibut combo rod and reel, but if you want a rod and reel just for halibut and never plan on fishing tuna,there are much cheaper options available.First off,halibut are slugs,they will run and pull hard but I have yet to have one run towards me so fast that I couldn't keep up easily with a single action (non geared) reel.The bigger the fish the slower it comes up.I use a big 7 1/2 " single action Alvey reel boat rod that has a one way drag system (so not a knuckle buster) and a Penn Carnage rod. I also like the Peetz one piece roller rods converted to ceramic guides.This is how I avoid the "Wobble" that most people hate and women and kids can't handle at all.Old school I know ,but that's just me.
Yeah maybe I should have just started a new thread. Need Help Choosing my Tuna/Halibut but mostly Jigging lings gear that my wife can handle. :). I already have the penn stuff which I'm sure would be ok but I would like two more setups that are "better" or even "great". I don't mind spending money but not stupid money just to have the most expensive thing. I'm an MR3 kinda guy.

I run super lite gear for lings and get into some pretty nice hali as the bye catch :)... 6.2ft bass rods and swimmer tails.. works great and fish up to 120 plus feet .. this gear is great for kids also :)

I run super lite gear for lings and get into some pretty nice hali as the bye catch :)... 6.2ft bass rods and swimmer tails.. works great and fish up to 120 plus feet .. this gear is great for kids also :)
What gear?! Lol
That is another reason I'm leaning towards the lighter gear is so my kid can fish it when she's 2 ;)

Agree and attest to Derby's gear on this one, especially the bye catch. Great for seniors as well with limited abilities who are not ready for the unexpected.Lol.

I will mention one thing, if you are considering any roller tip or roller eye rod ensure you have a darn tight gap most importantly on the tip roller especially if you plan on running braid line. Braid is very thin and if you have a gap at the tip the line can very easily slip into this gap and jam up on you and cut off.

Just something to keep in mind.

Hahahhaaha.. ya that was a fun day eh... thought we lost over this side ..that was a nice 42 lb & 36 lb hali double header :)
hali :)

what was funnier we had a another double header of hali"s about 2 minutes earlier and they booth fell off at he boat :eek::)

So seriously anybody think the Talica 10 would be too small?

So seriously anybody think the Talica 10 would be too small?

its a matter of balance with the right rod... I found talica 1o to heavy for what trying to do.. i use this reel wit 40lb braid.... Working on a couple new rods to fish with it the coming season .. i'll dig up the rod..
the reel is used for Red drum down south and has a 20lb drag system with SS bearng... it seems to handle the hali.. 180 yrds of 40lb braid....
20200119_135144_resized.jpg

its a matter of balance with the right rod... I found talica 1o to heavy for what trying to do.. i use this reel wit 40lb braid.... Working on a couple new rods to fish with it the coming season .. i'll dig up the rod..
the reel is used for Red drum down south and has a 20lb drag system with SS bearng... it seems to handle the hali.. 180 yrds of 40lb braid....
View attachment 50187
Handles the salt ok?

i feel as people always over gun for halibut. the past two summers fishing on the island and up in haida i brought my light ling setups , 4 avet sx 2 speeds ( these are avets smallest reel , similar in size to a talica 8 ) all 0f them mounted on TVSC63L ( the smallest of the trevalas , with a split butt), spooled with 50 lb hollow core . these setups handled fish of all sized, including a day where we had three overs , 80 - 130ish lbs out on a pinnacle off Klashwun pt. The big girl at 130lbs we had to the boat in 20 mins, tons of fun on your 30 - 60 lb model fish.

i feel as people always over gun for halibut. the past two summers fishing on the island and up in haida i brought my light ling setups , 4 avet sx 2 speeds ( these are avets smallest reel , similar in size to a talica 8 ) all 0f them mounted on TVSC63L ( the smallest of the trevalas , with a split butt), spooled with 50 lb hollow core . these setups handled fish of all sized, including a day where we had three overs , 80 - 130ish lbs out on a pinnacle off Klashwun pt. The big girl at 130lbs we had to the boat in 20 mins, tons of fun on your 30 - 60 lb model fish.
Awesome exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

Talica 10 will be plenty for halibut to 60 or 70 lbs as long as you are not fishing super deep with a lot of weight. I landed one around 60 lbs this summer on a Lexa 100! That said, I am going to move up to a Lexa 300 for my main shallow water jigging rod, still way less reel than the Talica 10.

Back