Help!? Parasite or disease in chinook salmon?

dfrase

Hi all
Landed a beauty high teens spring off hornby last night. Great battle and fish could not have looked healthier.
Went to clean it an hr later and as i was cutting off the rib bones on one side, i noticed a dark purple pocket in the flesh. It was about the size of a quarter. It looked like a burst blood vessel to be honest but want opinion from the experts. I am smoking it but want to be sure its all good before feeding to family.
The pic is after i cut it all apart and looked for parasites (found none). Originally it was a small contained purple quarter size pocket right behind the ribs. No external markings and the meat looks great.
Thanks guys
Dfrase

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I don't have any tangible science to base this on, but I would cut that chunk of meat out and use it for hali/crab bait. No way would I risk feeding that to others, even if it is most likely harmless.

To me it looks like bruising, could have been caused when netting or if it flopped around in the back of your boat when you brought it aboard.

I don't believe there is any harm in eating the meat.

Attachments

• salmon-internal-bruising.jpg
    salmon-internal-bruising.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 56
ok thanks Gents. yea i thought maybe bruising or a burst blood vessel from exertion. my wife did wack it with the net a few times trying to get it in.

i definitely wont be eating that small piece and it will go in the prawn trap. i was just planning on smoking the rest and will freeze it before eating.

Harmless bruising. See it sometimes on the top of the shoulder when I'm a bit far back with the wood shampoo.

I've also seen this a few times and just cut around it. I'm still here to tell the tale after eating the fish.

As already mentioned. Cut around it. Use a bit heavier salt in your brine than you would normally. Salt content kills a lot of the nasties in meat. Then just to be really safe freeze for at least 48 hours before eating. All should be good with those precautions.

Bruising of fish. Hitting fish will bruise flesh. I normally tear a gill and let them bleed out. Big springs get a single crack on top of skull with gaff handle.

Back