Help, just brought a used 15hp Mercury 2016outboard

kitman

It is a 2016 mercury 15hp 4 stroke outboard, I have 2 question hopefully someone here could help me.....when I fired up the engine some smoke and smell last for couple minutes, is that normal? I open the oil cap looks pretty dry inside , is it time to add oil?
Also the engine is peeing cold water where the green arrow is , looks pretty normal to me ,but the other hole beside the red arrow is spraying hot water out....is that normal? Sorry guys I'm fairly new to boating, it would be great if someone could help me with an answer.thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210818-013351_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210818-013351_Gallery.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210817_220037.jpg
    20210817_220037.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 78
Do not start the engine again. Get a compression gauge from canadian tire. Do a compression test on both the cylinders. Makes sure the head gasket is good. It should be 120 psi +. Add oil to the proper level first.

It is a 2016 mercury 15hp 4 stroke outboard, I have 2 question hopefully someone here could help me.....when I fired up the engine some smoke and smell last for couple minutes, is that normal? I open the oil cap looks pretty dry inside , is it time to add oil?
Also the engine is peeing cold water where the green arrow is , looks pretty normal to me ,but the other hole beside the red arrow is spraying hot water out....is that normal? Sorry guys I'm fairly new to boating, it would be great if someone could help me with an answer.thanks.
Spraying water through the exhaust port, probably thermostat issues, check for water in the oil, could be a blown head gaskets, make sure oil level is good before you restart, if you are completely green don’t do anything just bring it a marine shop

Check the dipstick on the side of the motor and add oil if necessary.
A puff of smoke on startup doesn't mean problems.
If the exhaust (red) is blowing white steam get the head gasket checked.
if just a bit of water, not a problem.

Last edited:
Photo 1:

Photo 2:
You wouldn't check the oil in your car by opening the oil cap. Don't do that with your outboard. Use the dip stick.

My friends 06 pro kicker has been doing that for the 5 years he's owned it. Born again boating addresses it in the comments of that video. We got tired of using the tiller to control speed and replaced it with a prokicker 9.9 EFI with controls.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:
You wouldn't check the oil in your car by opening the oil cap. Don't do that with your outboard. Use the dip stick.

My friends 06 pro kicker has been doing that for the 5 years he's owned it. Born again boating addresses it in the comments of that video. We got tired of using the tiller to control speed and replaced it with a prokicker 9.9 EFI with controls.
That's lot of help thx

your pictures are perfectly normal. I have a 20hp 4 stroke and it does the same thing as far as your arrows point out.

Back