Height of Campion 542, etc, on trailer

bMcN

Can anyone with a Campion 542, Campion 185 or Malibu 182 tell me if their boat is less than 7' in height when on the trailer (and if so, whether the trailer is bunk or roller)? Trying to figure out if I can fit such a boat into a garage with a 6'10" door and Google is failing me.

Thanks in advance, -b

I have a 2005 542 on a ez loader bunk trailer with swing tongue. Sitting level it is 7'11" to top of windshield. I was able to get the top of the windshield down to 7'4" by bottoming out the front jack. also, the front jack is currently sitting on a 4" block of wood. My wheel on the jack does not come off but it measured another 6". hope that helps. The wood and wheel are roughly another 10". So you would be close. Also may need to tilt outboard down as it would teeter totter up on the other end.

I had a 182 and there was no way, without deflating the tires and dropping the tongue on the ground to get it into my garage which is a standard height opening. I sure tried tho...

I have a 1993 185 campion explorer on a highliner roller trailer with swing tongue. My garage door is 7 ft 11 inch and if I lower the the front jack to bottom out. the boat rolls in easily.

I have a 2002 Explorer 542 and it sits in my garage. That was actually one of the selling points when I bought it from the previous owner, who had it in his garage too. I just remeasured my garage and it is 6'10.5" from floor of garage to the sill. When pulling the boat in and out there is about an inch or two of clearance at the top of the windshield. I have a folding tongue EZ trailer just like Catch 22. This folding tongue is essential because the boat on trailer lengthwise is too long for my garage. One thing to note, because there is so little wiggle room, the height of your driveway or laneway may be a factor too. My laneway is slightly lower than the garage floor. As a result, when I am pulling the trailer out or backing it back in hitched to the car, the whole rig is tilted ever so slightly downwards. Because of this slight downward tilt, my folding Fulton jack cannot fold back down when I am putting the boat back in the garage. What I do is I keep a 2.5 ton hydraulic jack I picked up at CT for cheap and jack up the trailer an inch or so to put the Fulton back down. I then raise the Fulton to remove the trailer from the hitch. I made a wood stand about 16" high and once I have the trailer in its proper place I rest it on the stand so that I am keeping the pressure off the Fulton jack. To help me back the rig into the garage and have everything in its proper place both lengthwise and widthwise I glued on a stopper strip so I don't hit the back wall and I have space for the car again. The boat is in a 3 car garage and after I put it back in I have to park two cars in there too.

Thanks for the detailed replies everyone. Sounds like a pre-2005 542 might work. Like Daveroo I'd be backing in from a driveway that sits lower than the garage floor. Luckily length is not an issue for me. I'm surprised fishhawk's 185 apparently sits higher than Daveroo's 542. Will definitely measure anything before buying. -b

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, typo, door height should be 6 ft 11 inches. Was thinking 7 ft door. Boat height at tow level is around 82" so I have to drop it and push by hand into the garage. I only do this for winter storage.

Back