Heat Pumps

Stosh

It’s obvious that all trades are very busy. I’m still looking for heat pump quotes.
Any suggestions in the Victoria/Westshore area?
Thanks
Stosh

Great inventions, we are on our second heat pump in our current house, they just keep getting better, more efficient and quieter and cool in the summer …

We’re going with Coastal Heat Pumps. Booked in for a May 2022 install. Call Graham - +1 (778) 676-3971. Young guy but very professional and honest.

if you are a little bit handy, try these guys. they sell a ductless system that most homeowners can install themselves. ends up being way cheaper than getting a mechanical contractor. The lines are precharged and have quick connects so special tools are not required. you do need an electrician to wire in a service for it though.
I got a 36k btu system with 4 air exchange heads for $6,300.
due to the supply chain issues i have not received it yet but i am expecting it in the next week or two.

Ya we've had a few quotes on heat pumps options and they range from a low of $12K to a high of $16K. Meanwhile gas is cheap and furnaces are less than half the cost. By my calcs it would take 7 to 8 years to break even on the heat pump option. So we were really interested in a HP going into this, but we've come around to going gas (probably fully modulating) and spending the savings on a new roof and better insulation.

Last edited:
New build? or looking to replace fossil fuel system?
My son replace an old oil furnace with new HP using all rebates and incentives.
Didnt cost him a penny, except for the disposal fees at dump for old oil tank.
As mentioned before great units and are sooo nice in the summer time, especially this past one

New build? or looking to replace fossil fuel system?
My son replace an old oil furnace with new HP using all rebates and incentives.
Didnt cost him a penny, except for the disposal fees at dump for old oil tank.
As mentioned before great units and are sooo nice in the summer time, especially this past one

Actually that's the other factor in our case, we are replacing a forced air electric, and don't qualify for any rebates. :confused:

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m looking at replacing a gas furnace. I’m aware of the Fed. Provincial and municipal grants applicable. Great savings providing the equipment qualifies.
Stosh

I find them great for cooling. I have Fijitsu Halycon single large head ductless system, and knocks the heat on top floor of house down to 20c in summer. Our bottom floor stays fairly cool so it wasn't needed.

Last year I turned on the pump in winter too supplement heating. I found using them to heat expensive honestly, and reverted back to our natural gas fireplace. I was shocked when I looked at Hydro bill. Kind of blew me away.

Last edited:
I am a commercial hvac tech. I usually direct residential calls to friends of mine that have there own company's. I don't have any contacts down south. But if your on the mid island I could direct you in the right direction. Or maybe I will even dust off the install tools and help you out myself.

FYI, I removed a electric furnace in my house and installed a gas furnace. Couldn't be happier with the electrical savings( likely pays for all my boat maintenance if not more)!

If gas is available in your area, a gas furnace with a/c unit for summertime will be much more cost effective to run. I'm not sure how the current rebates factor into this calculation though. We went with a Daikin heat pump for our new build, installed by Red Blue, no gas in our area on the peninsula. Pretty happy with the performance thus far.

When we were looking for a heat pump, all 3 estimators said with our high efficiency furnace that all we needed was the cooling unit. Bought in February and saved 40% from the quotes in the summer, lol!

Central air is the best! Never needed it in Tofino!

We also went with a high efficiency natural gas furnace.
$2000 in grants for changing out the oil furnace.
Will look at the a.c. upgrade .

Just replaced furnace in my home. The old one only last 35 years, what a POS. New one started off with a bang, literally: while removing the old unit, the install crew sheared off the incoming water line at slab level. Flooded the basement an inch deep before they could get it shut off at the street. There goes the new flooring, bathroom tile and vanity I put in last winter. New furnace works great but no sign of anyone starting work on fixing the basement. Invoice for full payment came in the following day and I'm expected to deal with insurance myself. I should start a Thread of Rage for stuff like this.

Just replaced furnace in my home. The old one only last 35 years, what a POS. New one started off with a bang, literally: while removing the old unit, the install crew sheared off the incoming water line at slab level. Flooded the basement an inch deep before they could get it shut off at the street. There goes the new flooring, bathroom tile and vanity I put in last winter. New furnace works great but no sign of anyone starting work on fixing the basement. Invoice for full payment came in the following day and I'm expected to deal with insurance myself. I should start a Thread of Rage for stuff like this.
Don't pay !
If the installer was negligent
they should make it right.

Back