Heading to rupert one week , anyone wanna exchange knowledge for few days on boat

Travo

Heading to rupert around the 15this month wondering if anyone knows how the fishing has been , there's never really a lot of info online about it , I've talked to some friends on mine up there who are FN commercial and said the fishing is good , if anyone has vast knowledge of the area and the techniques to properly fish spring and wouldn't mind getting out on the water for a few days in exchange for a little knowledge exchange that would be nice cold ones and gas on me , other option is I'm going to hire a guide for 2 days when I get there and learn some new spots/techniques , I've never fished for spring in the ocean just coho and I used spoons , hootchies and cut plug herring , and teaser head anchovies did very well . I have a 22 foot TJ offshore .

Was out fishing Prince Rupert May 11&12, 2014 on a 2 day charter with 4 of us, we came home with 9 springs 5 halibut 5 lings 3 snappers 18 rockfish, and lots of crab. we fished topend of Stevens Island place called Avery, you could try south end of Melville Island, you fish about 40' to 50' deep in 60-80 feet of water, green or red flashers and use cut plug herring or anchovies. these places are a hour run from Rupert, you could also try Lucy Island.
My daughter came with us for the first time and we could not keep the smile off her face :)

PS You will catch this time of year, pics are posted on deep spring charters web site or face book,

Prince Rupert Fishing

Was out fishing Prince Rupert May 11&12, 2014 on a 2 day charter with 4 of us, we came home with 9 springs 5 halibut 5 lings 3 snappers 18 rockfish, and lots of crab. we fished topend of Stevens Island place called Avery, you could try south end of Melville Island, you fish about 40' to 50' deep in 60-80 feet of water, green or red flashers and use cut plug herring or anchovies. these places are a hour run from Rupert, you could also try Lucy Island.
My daughter came with us for the first time and we could not keep the smile off her face :)

PS You will catch this time of year, pics are posted on deep spring charters web site or face book,

Everyone seems to be tight lipped. I only lived in Rupert for a year but inlaws showed me where to fish with their small skiff. If you're looking for area's close to Port Ed you can do well anchoring and back trolling cut plug herring in Sum Sadi (sp?) which is an inlet on Smith Island on incoming tides. My inlaws neighbour was a guide and fished this spot on his personal fishing days in June for Springs. You can only get about two boats wide anchored and maybe two or three rows deep. First boats will take the first line deepest in so they're anchored and fishing in the deepest hole and best hole I think it's about 25' at low tide but easy enough to pass through it at low slack to mark the depressions then anchor on the bumps and drift back over the depressions. Drop cut plug herring on downriggers to a couple feet of bottom. You can drop your crab traps right outside passage and keep an eye on them. Should get a good load of keepers by the time the tide change is done.

Another option and most popular is to run to Eddy Pass. It's about 15-20 mins by boat across the outflow of the Skeena by Kennedy Island. You'll know the spot when you see all the boats.

Easy close access area's for halibut is Green Top and Holland Rock but not sure about it this early in the year. Use to fish it later in summer when pinks were in heavy and the halibut followed and were caught all the way up to Hazel Point on Smith Island.

Best bet would be to stop by Trayling's Tackle in Rupert to pick up a marine map of the area and have them show you the specific area's to hit for springs and halibut. They're very helpful and will send you armed with the info and locations needed. With that said though, it comes down to so many variables such as the roll of the herring to the depth, speed, and precise location which the guides have the knowledge of and get crazy results compared to the rec guys especially those only there for a short time. If you're not having success on your own it's worth hiring a guide for a day and experiencing the fishing they can produce and take in as much as you can for when you go out on your own. Tight lines!

fishing Prince Rupert

Everyone seems to be tight lipped. I only lived in Rupert for a year but inlaws showed me where to fish with their small skiff. If you're looking for area's close to Port Ed you can do well anchoring and back trolling cut plug herring in Sum Sadi (sp?) which is an inlet on Smith Island on incoming tides. My inlaws neighbour was a guide and fished this spot on his personal fishing days in June for Springs. You can only get about two boats wide anchored and maybe two or three rows deep. First boats will take the first line deepest in so they're anchored and fishing in the deepest hole and best hole I think it's about 25' at low tide but easy enough to pass through it at low slack to mark the depressions then anchor on the bumps and drift back over the depressions. Drop cut plug herring on downriggers to a couple feet of bottom. You can drop your crab traps right outside passage and keep an eye on them. Should get a good load of keepers by the time the tide change is done.

Another option and most popular is to run to Eddy Pass. It's about 15-20 mins by boat across the outflow of the Skeena by Kennedy Island. You'll know the spot when you see all the boats.

Easy close access area's for halibut is Green Top and Holland Rock but not sure about it this early in the year. Use to fish it later in summer when pinks were in heavy and the halibut followed and were caught all the way up to Hazel Point on Smith Island.

Best bet would be to stop by Trayling's Tackle in Rupert to pick up a marine map of the area and have them show you the specific area's to hit for springs and halibut. They're very helpful and will send you armed with the info and locations needed. With that said though, it comes down to so many variables such as the roll of the herring to the depth, speed, and precise location which the guides have the knowledge of and get crazy results compared to the rec guys especially those only there for a short time. If you're not having success on your own it's worth hiring a guide for a day and experiencing the fishing they can produce and take in as much as you can for when you go out on your own. Tight lines!
If you have a good enough boat try Dundas Island along the North side. Start at Kelp Point and work east or West. Cut-plug herring or whole herring in a teaser head works well. You can run them off the rigger or just power mooch the cut-plugs at 13-17 pulls with a 6-8oz banana weight.

If you have a good enough boat try Dundas Island along the North side. Start at Kelp Point and work east or West. Cut-plug herring or whole herring in a teaser head works well. You can run them off the rigger or just power mooch the cut-plugs at 13-17 pulls with a 6-8oz banana weight.

How big of boat do we need for dundas we have a 22 foot thunderjet alexis which is the american tyee , is have very high sides and 18 degree deadrise its the outboard offshore series with a 225honda .. id like to try dundas this year ... also anyone know a good reputable guide in the rupert area ?

How big of boat do we need for dundas we have a 22 foot thunderjet alexis which is the american tyee , is have very high sides and 18 degree deadrise its the outboard offshore series with a 225honda .. id like to try dundas this year ... also anyone know a good reputable guide in the rupert area ?
your boat should be fine for Dundas Island, just check the weather forecast before leaving. Haa Nee Naa Lodge is there and Jay Bowers is their head guide. if you can track him down he knows here the fish are.

Back