HDS 5X fail?

sly_karma

Crew Member
Something's up with my Lowrance HDS 5X (fishfinder only). Every time I try to power it up, it fries the 3A fuse recommended by the manufacturer. It tried it with a 5A fuse; the fuse doesn't blow but the unit won't power up, just black screen. I have another Lowrance head unit, it powers up fine when plugged onto the HDS 5's cable. No other loads on this circuit.

I'm pretty sure this unit is toast, what do I do now? The unit is two years and some months old so it's out of warranty. Is there somewhere I can have it evaluated? I tried the Lowrance website but did not find any useful info on service.

I would take it back and see about some goodwill. Many times I have returned things that are out of warranty and had good experiences.

Purchased online from GPS City. Their service at the purchase end has been pretty good, I guess I should enquire there first.

If you are looking for warranty, I would leave out the fact that you put a 5A fuse in where the manufacturer recommended a 3A.

Sly.... All that typing the RCA 'S in. Did you back them up?

Where is the fuse in the circuit? Does it blow as soon as the unit powers up or when you put the fuse in? Fuses are there to protect the wire only

Sorry didn't understand the "powers up fine with another head unit"

5x is toast. Probably fried resistor on the board. Take it to electronics repairman. Should be a visable fault.

@bones, I have an HDS 7 plotter/sounder unit installed at the helm, on a separate circuit. I plugged it into the power cord for the aft mounted 5X and it powered up fine; ie, not a power issue.

so the 7" works at helm and in the stern. the 5" work at the helm and not at the stern? blows fuses when powered only in the stern? have a multimeter?

The 5 is dead in both locations, the 7 works at both locations. No more blown fuses. I guess that means things were changing within the 5. It won't power up off a direct battery connection either. It's dead Jim.

And there shouldn't be an issue with the saved waypoints marking the RCAs, those are all in the 7. The 5X is a fishfinder only.

Dead.....
There is the non blowing 5A fuse which means the short is small. If you don't have $$$ for new head unit then take it to electronics guy and ask if could open it and see the failure is visible. Should only cost 50$ to fix but I might be wrong.
Your in maple ridge? Cell phone guy at 221 and Dewdney?

Nah I'm in Penticton. Retailer referred me on to Lowrance, we'll see where that goes first. I was mistaken about the age, when I looked up the receipt from GPS City I see it's only 18 months old.

Back