Have your say about oyster and clam shellfish tourism in Powell River

Some people are getting all twisted because they see a few mini bus loads of Asian tourists having a good time on a few of the accessible beaches where they rake a limit of clams and pick a limit of oysters. In the Comox valley , the tour guide sometimes set up a portable BBQ and the group will have a fresh oyster lunch on the beach. What a great Canadian experience for them! When DFO has checked these tourists, they were in full compliance with the regs. Remember-- its in the tour guides best interest to make sure that everybody plays by the rules. In fact, there is a much bigger opportunity for LOCALS to abuse the regs than the tourists. The solution is more enforcement and ORR if you see someone getting greedy. As far as lowering limits--NO. Once we give up something, we will never get it back. And realistically 75 manilas just make a chowder big enough for two dinners and a lunch. 15 oysters is a good limit, but it is not threatening the resource where I cruise the beaches. Now-- the idea of a size limit on clams has been floated around the SFAB-- this is nonsense . Take the 25 butters, or 75 littlenecks and manilas and go home-- less disturbance to the beds that way.

Wow really? Look at the latest report of court imposed fines on a certain demographic. You are crazy to think that it's a "local" problem. There is over harvesting for commercial purposes to sell to restaurants and it is devestating local recreational harvesting for the odd clam bake by legitimate people. Absolute disregard for local laws is rampant fines are pathetic and no deterrent. Please pull your head out of the sand.

The discussion is about legitimate shellfish tourism. As CL stated, it's in the tour guides best interests that everybody harvests legally. And if I remeber correctly, the report that you referenced actually corresponds with the fact that it is a local problem. Most, or all, (again.. If my memory serves me right) violators lived in BC which makes them locals.
Just my 2 bits.

Mike

Another reason not to live on the mainland the place is a write off. It will only get worse. Good luck.

Back