Hatchery head returns

C

cannibal chris

I was at a local store and I wanted to drop off my hatchery fish heads and was quite surprised at the reaction I received. The guy working there told me that they don't like to turn the heads in because Then DFO blames the sport fisherman for poor returns. But what commie will ever take the time to do so.... They won't because it takes time. Sport fisherman will for info on the fish and you get entered into the draw for prizes. Has anyone else experienced this? I was put back by this and thought I was doing what was expected of me when I catch a hatchery fish.

Chris

You are doing what is expected. I will admit with all the coho in the straight this year, I did not turn in every head But I did turn in a lot.

Can you tell us who this retailer was so I can make sure not to shop there?

No I can't bud. Forum rules and they are a good shop but I was wondering if this attitude towards returned heads was a common thing?

Chris

Keep returning your hatchery heads. You are doing the right thing. The information obtained from the returned heads is important to fisheries management. Some people don't like the results of this information but we would be far worse off if there was no information coming in.

I don't think retailers are required to also be head return depots. There are depots all around, and some retailers also have the head boxes. But if the retailer doesn't, then why would they want it?

I try to look for and return all hatchery heads. Here in North Van we used to take them to the Cap hatchery, but now Hi-water Tackle (frozen) takes them.
It is easy to forget your coho heads, seeing as they rarely have a CWT.
Hatchery head results: This year the May/June/July springs I caught at south Bowen and Entrance,Thrasher & Vancouver harbour were from Chilliwack(3) and Cowichan. (1). Some no pins of course, and nothing from the upper Fraser or Columbia.
Hoping to get one of those hogs in the 38 lb. size like they keep reporting every year.

Hey Goathorns would you please release all Cowichan River springs in the future. Thank-you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think lack of information hurts us worse than DFO having more head return info. The worst that will come from head return info is DFO closing an area to protect endangered stocks, I don't think that would be a bad thing. Being on the West coast most of my heads are of US origin, but 4 were Cowie fish, and a few Chilliwack, and a couple Shuswap fish.

Interesting seeing Cowichan heads coming from the Vancouver area from Goathorns and WCVI from Bod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back