Hatchery chinook Heads during slot limits

Unreel

So most areas right now have the slot limit with 80cm being the max. As I read the regs, when there is a maximum size limit the head must remain attached until your at your residence. So with that, how many hatchery chinook heads are not making it to the recovery freezers!? You’d think a massive amount no? Not that dfo listens to data anyway but still.

So most areas right now have the slot limit with 80cm being the max. As I read the regs, when there is a maximum size limit the head must remain attached until your at your residence. So with that, how many hatchery chinook heads are not making it to the recovery freezers!? You’d think a massive amount no? Not that dfo listens to data anyway but still.

Can you show where it exactly say that with wording?

I am going ask this question. This is a bit ridiculous. We need people to turns heads in. This is also critical for areas like Area 20 with the netpen program. I get the enforcement aspect, but this goes a bit far.

Missing fin? Keep the head.​

The exception to the above requirements is if your coho or chinook salmon is a hatchery fish with a healed scar in place of the adipose fin. Remove heads from hatchery coho and chinook and submit them to a Salmon Head Recovery Depot to provide valuable recreational catch monitoring information to DFO. Anglers are required to ensure that proof of the healed scar remains clearly distinguishable after packaging by leaving the portion of the fish that contains the scar on the fillet. The healed scar will identify the fish for enforcement officers as a hatchery fish.

Wow your right how stupid. I will ask right away.

Before packaging your fish, always ensure the species, number, size, and weight of the fish can be readily determined.​

When packaging your salmon catch, if a maximum size limit applies, the head and tail must remain attached until you prepare and consume your catch, arrive at your ordinary residence, or deliver your catch to a registered processing facility.

Wow your right how stupid. I will ask right away.

Before packaging your fish, always ensure the species, number, size, and weight of the fish can be readily determined.​

When packaging your salmon catch, if a maximum size limit applies, the head and tail must remain attached until you prepare and consume your catch, arrive at your ordinary residence, or deliver your catch to a registered processing facility.
But then the part I copied and pasted above says that if its a hatchery coho or chinook, you are allowed to remove the head for the head recovery program. Hatchery fish are an exception to the rule.

But then the part I copied and pasted above says that if its a hatchery coho or chinook, you are allowed to remove the head for the head recovery program. Hatchery fish are an exception to the rule.
Hmm ok that sounds right then, but I wonder how many people or even fisheries guys know this?

As it stands right now from asking salmon head must be on hatchery or wild. This applies to areas with 80cm slot limits. Raised issue see what we can find out. Sorry this is surprise to me as well. Thanks for raising it here.

As it stands right now from asking salmon head must be on hatchery or wild. This applies to areas with 80cm slot limits. Raised issue see what we can find out. Sorry this is surprise to me as well. Thanks for raising it here.
You asked DFO and they told you hatchery heads must stay on? seems pretty clear in the regs that hatchery fish are an exception and heads may be removed for collection.

You asked DFO and they told you hatchery heads must stay on? seems pretty clear in the regs that hatchery fish are an exception and heads may be removed for collection.

Correct this was asked directly, and clarified. There is discussion on it right now. If heads are requirement it would be good to place out announcement for people. Like I said I had no idea it was out of left field.

Last edited:
Looks pretty clear. see where it says "the exception to the above requirements..." Wouldn't surprise me though that they dont even know what their own rules are.

pfilets.jpg
The head of your salmon can be removed only if the length with the head off is equal to or greater than the minimum legal size of that species for the waters in which it was caught. Leave the tail attached so species can be determined. For example, if a Chinook salmon is caught where the minimum size limit is 62 cm and it is filleted and packaged for transport, one of the fillets must have the tail attached and be at least 62 cm long. If necessary the fillet can be cut into two pieces; the tail must remain attached to one of the pieces. The fillets should be placed side by side in one bag making it obvious that they represent one fish, and the bag must be clearly labelled with:

1. the number and species of salmon - e.g., "one Chinook"
  2. the number of fillets - "two fillets"
  3. the number of pieces - "four pieces"and
  4. the angler's name and fishing licence number

Missing fin? Keep the head.​

The exception to the above requirements is if your coho or chinook salmon is a hatchery fish with a healed scar in place of the adipose fin. Remove heads from hatchery coho and chinook and submit them to a Salmon Head Recovery Depot to provide valuable recreational catch monitoring information to DFO. Anglers are required to ensure that proof of the healed scar remains clearly distinguishable after packaging by leaving the portion of the fish that contains the scar on the fillet. The healed scar will identify the fish for enforcement officers as a hatchery fish.

I can't imagine many fishery offices caring about this if you got checked post turning in a head. Well they might care if the fillets are over 80cm but thats on you lol

id be happy to challenge any fishery officer on it if they checked me

That isn't the issue. The issue is this is new, and most are unaware. I see no need for keeping head on regardless of wild/hatchery. We are making it harder(as usual) then it needs to be. Do you keep your heads in halibut? Nope you don't.

I would like to see amendment to this, or even a notice clarifying it further.

OK confirmed. As it stands right now all unmarked chinook salmon heads must be on while transporting in an 80cm retention slot area. Marked (clipped) fish heads at 80cm slot can be removed, and submitted as usual. The missing adipose must be shown to officer if you get checked. Officers will be checking if you are stopped.

I will send out some info to our group in Area17, and Facebook page as a reminder.

Thanks for posting guys.

OK confirmed. As it stands right now all unmarked chinook salmon heads must be on while transporting in an 80cm retention slot area. Marked (clipped) fish heads at 80cm slot can be removed, and submitted as usual. The missing adipose must be shown to officer if you get checked. Officers will be checking if you are stopped.

I will send out some info to our group in Area17, and Facebook page as a reminder.

Thanks for posting guys.
So does this mean you can not fillet Chinook where 80cm max until you are at your place of residence?

I assume this also means you cannot take of the head to put in your crab trap on the way in, which has been the only time we pull and bait up the trap. So now we would have to take the head off at home, take it out with you the next time you go fishing, have it sit all day in the often hot boat and then bait up, unless it is a clipped fish.

I assume this also means you cannot take of the head to put in your crab trap on the way in, which has been the only time we pull and bait up the trap. So now we would have to take the head off at home, take it out with you the next time you go fishing, have it sit all day in the often hot boat and then bait up, unless it is a clipped fish.

Seems so.

Back