Hatcheries

something sidetrack, but still relates to hatcheries....last year, there was quite a few hatch springs around sooke, in that 10-15lb range...They were long and lean.....just noticed that most of them had a belly full of tapeworms.....i remember the bite me derby weekend especially...caught a shiat load of them, all had worms.....anybody else notice this?.....all puget sound hatch fish...have seen tapeworms in salmon lots before, but never like last year, none in the bigger salmon i caught.....

ALL fish have worms salmonboy... the worm cycle can go up and down like other natural cycles. Skinny fish might be a consequence of a heavy parasite load. But no need to get worried by a few leaned fish .

This 1/2hr video is worth a look. Appears that some of our neighbours south of us are getting organized to fight some decisions that could really give thier steellheading and salmon fishing opportunities a kick in the gut.

http://vimeo.com/85505685

I'm not aware of any Canadian hatcheries putting "Massive" amounts of smolts into any system! There are many community based smaller hatcheries working with small numbers of fish compared to what these rivers had historically. I guess the closest to that would be the Nitnat chum production.

ALL fish have worms salmonboy... the worm cycle can go up and down like other natural cycles. Skinny fish might be a consequence of a heavy parasite load. But no need to get worried by a few leaned fish .

oh i know they all have worms, but this was an epic amount and only in hatchery fish that were those 10-15lbs...ive caught my share of salmon over the years, but never seen it so bad in every fish i cleaned, it was only in those usa hatch fish, i do get worried when there r 300+ worms in the stomach of each fish......

Have seen lots of tape worms in wild springs too. Often stomachs are jammed full of them.

Have seen lots of tape worms in wild springs too. Often stomachs are jammed full of them.

this was way more than usual....burrowed out of stomach and into the meat on one of them...seen that on a sockeye once, but like i said it was an epic worm event during the bite me derby weekend......

This 1/2hr video is worth a look. Appears that some of our neighbours south of us are getting organized to fight some decisions that could really give thier steellheading and salmon fishing opportunities a kick in the gut.

http://vimeo.com/85505685

unfortunately the video hung up for me after the first 5 minutes. but in that time, I heard from the folks who are the staunch defenders of hatcheries. those same folks who refuse to look at or understand the body of science regarding the impacts of wild and hatchery fish. i'll try again to view it but I am not surprised by the take they are presenting. 'salmon for all' is an industry group arguing for continued gill netting of the lower Columbia. the Sol Duc guides association were the ones running the Snyder creek hatchery. a hatchery which was producing smolt that were residualized and therefore interfering with returning wild fish. they are pissed because their hatchery was closed. the three rivers group is clearly only interested in hatchery plantings, and so and and so forth. if they paid attention to the science, perhaps all of these groups could come to some middle ground, not likely.

Back