Handling ,Packaging, Preparing ,Prawns ??

Ok Fellas , Cooked up another batch tonight , High Heat , SS Pan , just a liitle bit of canola , placed the 40 ish Prawns in , cooked for 3 mins ,while tossing and flipping continuously, placed in my pre-melted butter with freshly pressed galic and light seasoning , the last 40 50 seconds , served , UN Freaking Real [:p] , what a difference , My guests loved it , thanks to all that replied , was not expecting this much input , all great tips !! Wife cooked it on " Low Heat " may have been the issue !! Jeff , Pickled !! Sounds Daaaalisciouuuusss !! There me be a " Lucky " for ya at the Weigh-In:D:D:D get the recipe off ya at the Nook , Hope it picks up soon , read your report on the " Update " thread , talk soon , FD;)

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

Trick learned from CS pop off the heads put them in the large heavier zipper lock freezer bags fill full of water squeeze out the air zip and freeze never any risk of frezer burn come out fresh as the day they were caught.

I put mine on skewers and marinate with Kraft Golden Italian dressing then a minute on each side on the BBQ [:p]

Cheers ME

revisedhookedonfishing.jpg

Nootka Marine Adventures
Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

Thanks My Escape , Exactly how we package as well ,Next time , I may try freezing them in the Salt Water,they came from !!,( My Escape , I have a friend that fishes your area ALOT , Ron Cicutto , I believe his boat is a 28 newer Grady , twin Yamis ,towes it with a Hummer , you ever meet him , he is a Burnaby Boy as well , play's on my hockey team ), cheers , FD;)
quote:Originally posted by MyEscape

Trick learned from CS pop off the heads put them in the large heavier zipper lock freezer bags fill full of water squeeze out the air zip and freeze never any risk of frezer burn come out fresh as the day they were caught.

I put mine on skewers and marinate with Kraft Golden Italian dressing then a minute on each side on the BBQ [:p]

Cheers ME

revisedhookedonfishing.jpg

Nootka Marine Adventures
Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

Originally posted by LastChance

I've been stocking up on prawns before I go to Renny, anyone have any experience freezing shelled tails?

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

All I do is take off the heads. Rince the tails in salt water in a big tupper ware container. Dump the salt water and silt out of the container. While the prawns are still wet with salt water, put them into a heavy plastic bag(I use a salmon derby fish bag because it's long and skiny and holds lots) The prawns are patted down into a single layer,(use a cookie sheet if you want) the bag folded over, exess air removed and into the freezer they go. The next day or when frozen solid simple brake them apart into singles and store in big zip lock freezer bags.(air removed) If you want 13 prawns you take out 13 prawns. (just like store bought.) It works great. The longest any have hung around my place frozen was probably two months or so. They Tasted looked and felt like fresh prawns. Im pretty quike out of the trap into the freezer though. Have a freezer on the dock, think that's the trick.

P.S. Pull your traps at the end of the day, perferably one hour after tide change.

Sorry L.C. missed the shelled part before posting. Too much work for me:D

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

I buy deli freezer containers from Amazon, fill the container with the prawn tails and clean ocean water, keep in my cooler on ice until I get home then right in the freezer. To me they taste better than freshly cooked. They last a year easily in the freezer but I eat them well before then.

I buy deli freezer containers from Amazon, fill the container with the prawn tails and clean ocean water, keep in my cooler on ice until I get home then right in the freezer. To me they taste better than freshly cooked. They last a year easily in the freezer but I eat them well before then.

I’m cheap and just use big yogurt containers that we save. I don’t know about tasting better after a freeze, but they’re definitely easier to peel after being frozen and thawed.

Back