Coconut prawn sauce

jaymasta

Finely chop a medium sized onion and fry it up with in a bit of coconut oil, after 4-5min when onion is translucent and just starting to brown add about 8-10 cloves of crushed garlic, fry for 2-3 minutes don't let garlic brown. Pour in a can of coconut milk and about 1/2 a cup of half and half. Add 1/2 tbs of black pepper 1/2 tbs of red pepper flake and 1/2 tsp of salt bring to a simmer and place about 20-25 prawns in the pan and simmer for 1-3 min until they are cooked through remove prawns turn heat down slightly add about 1/2 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese stir until melted in and taste for seasoning, Reduce until you have a sauce like constancy 8-10 minutes. I boiled some pasta at this point and shelled/devained my prawns, noodles were ready sauce ready and prawns were all cleaned and shelled at almost the same time. I have made this sauce many times but always slightly different, this is just how I started making it, you could customize this all kind of ways easily once you are at the reducing stage. I usually add some italian seasoning or fresh herbs if I have them on hand. You could also use milk instead of half and half although you'd need to add more and reduce the sauce more to get the thicker constancy. This sauce is cheap and easy and you can have the entire meal done in about 20 minutes. I started making this sauce when I bought about a dozen cans of coconut milk at thriftys on dollar days. A buck a can, next time I'll probably buy 2 dozen.
Enjoy

Back