Halogen Lights for Boat

BearCove

Crew Member
Looking for info on what kind of lights I should put on the bow of my boat?

Who out there has some, what kind, where did you get them.

I'm going to be doing some work at night with my boat over the next few months and need to see the beach when picking people up and some slow travel.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks guys,

Wade

I would check out Princess Auto. They definitely will have what you need and it won't punish your wallet.

I just looked in their catalogue, lots in the trailer section pages 305-307. Pricing is good!

I just bought 5 LED standing work lights. 1800 Lum each or what ever brightness they rate LED. Very disappointed with them. I replaced 1000 watt halogen stand lights. Only good thing about them is when guys knock them over they havent exploded, Yet.

Quality LED lights are what you want, like those from off-roading companies etc. Halogen is old news.

Check out Rigid lights or bajadesigns, they are expensive but you get what you pay for! They are awesome. You can get ebay knockoffs too but you definitely get what you pay for. Most come in black, but I made sure to get white ones because it's a marine hardware thing :)

You can see the light bar on the back of the rocket launchers... Yes it's way overkill for a deck light but if I'm ever caught in the dark ill be thankful. Also have two spot lights in the front on the tower. They are savagely bright, make really good docking lights!

20140415_075139_Richtone(HDR).jpg

I think am going with rigid led on my boat, more money but its all about the engineering that goes into the optics/lenses im told, as well they come with wiring, switches and warranty. Fish Zinn do you find enough light off to the sides with your 2 spots on the front? I was going to pay a bit more to buy one spot and one flood but the light out put/lens design on the spot throws so much more lumens im hoping ill be happy with the 2 "dually" spots mounted to the bow rail. Mostly I will be using them at slow cruise an loading straight onto the trailer.

Rigid looks amazing, some super cool lights.

Whats the difference between spot and flood? I'm assuming spot is more direct and flood is spread out. What works best when travelling in the dark?

Spots are surprisingly quite a bit, you can get a "Driving" Light which is a combination of both, those are the 'Dually D2' I believe. More money, of course!

Or get a spot/flood light bar.

Either way, not advised to use these for navigation, because they will blind boaters/ anyone else on the water.

Just do some research on the ole' internet and you'll find what you want!

Hey Wade

I just got a 20" LED light bar (spot) 7800 lumen from Montreal Imports on line and 2 smaller spots for my back deck, free shipping and cheapest I could find delivered to my door.

Spots in LED are 30 degree and flood are 60 degree lense angle, basically a flood will have a wide angle intensity vs the spot. LED are measured in Lumen because they don't have a fixed point brightness (candlelight) like a halogen spot light, very low amp draw vs a halogen but not the fixed intensity either. They will refract off more objects in a larger area but the object would have to be closer. So if you are trying to light up the beach a LED maybe what you are after but you will have to be closer, if you are looking for something on the beach a halogen will be your best bet but may be harder to find the object.

There are lots of reads on the 4by4 forums on LED vs halogen, it depends on what you want for the application, fixed point or trying to light the area up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back