halibut

reelfast

I know this was posted, someplace, but I can't find it, help!!

in the south island area between Sooke and Victoria, can you please post up the slot limits and the dates those are valid. I seem to remember one of these slot limits goes away at some point. thanks and sorry for the redundancy.

Season starts Feb 1 with same slot as last season. New slot kicks in April 1 with new license. 90/133 after April 1.

Coast wide:

Open time:
Effective at 00:01 hours February 1, 2014 fishing for halibut will be opened
coastwide until further notice.

Limits and sizes:

Effective 00:01 hours February 1,2014 until 23:59 hours March 31, 2014:
" The maximum length for halibut is 126cm.
" The daily limit for halibut is one (1).
" The possession limit for halibut is two (2), only one of which may be greater
than 83cm in length.

" The annual limit is six (6) halibut per licence holder. Note: Any halibut
caught during the period of April 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013 and February 1,
2014 to March 31, 2014 will count towards the annual limit as authorized under
the 2013/2014 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.
" All halibut retained by the licence holder shall be immediately recorded in
ink on the 2013-2014 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence. The area from which
each halibut is caught and its length shall immediately be recorded on license.

Effective 00:01 hours April 1, 2014 until further notice:
" The maximum length for halibut is 133cm.
" The daily limit for halibut is one (1).
" The possession limit for halibut is two (2), only one of which may be greater
than 90cm in length.

" There will be an annual limit of six (6) halibut (per licence holder) as
authorized under the 2014/2015 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.
" All halibut retained by the licence holder shall be immediately recorded in
ink on the 2014-2015 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence. The area from which
each halibut is caught and its length shall immediately be recorded on license.

With an annual Hali limit of 6 per licence...how can DFO enforce this when people can purchase a licence online and print multiple copies. So why do people complain about the limit when there is such a back door to this flawed system.

The law may be an butt but it is still the law. Believe it or not many of us on the forum obey the laws-as flawed as they may be and try to work within the system until such time as it/they are changed

Well said SF. A person's integrity is not judged by what he does when everyone is looking. It's measured by what he does when NO ONE is looking.

The system will most likely always have flaws (note "laws" with an F in front) , but its what we have.

From my first days fishing Nootka, Spring Fever has always been someone with sound advice.

With an annual Hali limit of 6 per licence...how can DFO enforce this when people can purchase a licence online and print multiple copies. So why do people complain about the limit when there is such a back door to this flawed system.

Have to ask.. are u a buddy of Jackal's?

cheaters cheat, that is the law. unfortunately.

That's what I do, I like the new license makes it so easy and I have never been checked. I'll take my chances.

You might find that they will be taking a pic of your license and enter it into database wen ya get checked. Be pretty funny if they did that and ya had 4 marked and then checked ya again a few weeks later to see ya now only have say 1 marked now.

Just sayen ;)_

Guys that take more than their share are not ripping off the government, they are ripping off their fellow fishermen and future generations.
I guess though if you want to stir the pot and portray rec fishermen in a bad light, what better way than to pretend to be a rec fisherman and brag about poaching? See this is the first post , smells like troll!

Guys that take more than their share are not ripping off the government, they are ripping off their fellow fishermen and future generations.
I guess though if you want to stir the pot and portray rec fishermen in a bad light, what better way than to pretend to be a rec fisherman and brag about poaching? See this is the first post , smells like troll!

Yup and both this Kiwimagic and Heavy Hauler are brand new sign ups. I thought promoting illegal activity would get you banned on this forum. The slipper commercial Halibut quota owner trolls like to spread this kind of crap as it serves their political and financial interests to paint the sport sector in a bad light since they compete with us for access to Halibut. I also am very suspicious when you see two new sign ups with no credibility or history acting like (you fill in the expletive). But if they are actual anglers and I have my doubts then they are just ignorant and the affect still works against the interests of the sport fishing sector in our ongoing battle for fair access to Halibut.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I do, I like the new license makes it so easy and I have never been checked. I'll take my chances.

Why even bother with anything then? Poaching is poaching.

I'm sure you apply the same philosophy with many facets of your life too don't you? It never really matters when no one is looking right?

Why even bother with anything then? Poaching is poaching.

I'm sure you apply the same philosophy with many facets of your life too don't you? It never really matters when no one is looking right?

only when he is commercial long-lining and hiding fish from his slipper skipper

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimagic View Post

Precisely the type of people we don't need here. Admin should nuke him....

Back