Halibut

Still some nice butts out there...got a wild one off Constance this afternoon with the Rock. It hit the bait, proceeded to peel 50 yards of line off the reel and then swam straight to the surface...I thought I lost all my gear until I finally caught up to it 12feet under the transom. It just sat there sulking. UNreal. Gave us some time to find the gaff and then we tossed her in the boat where she proceeded to go nuts. Shoulda got the spear out. Beautiful afternnon....and the humpback whales put on a great show.

IMG_8541_Large.jpg

Wow, humpbacks came all the way to constance. nice! what were you using for bait? pink salmon bellies is what ive got my last one on.

-steve

We've done well on Macs, salmon bellies, octo and herring all season. Today was a mac-attack. Two humpbacks did circles around us for over two hours...just slowly cruising and feeding. Some good fluke shots. Pretty cool to hear them breathing without the engine drowning them out.

I have heard some people did very well drifting on long flat sandy bottom somewhere in Constance. I tried to use this drifting method around William Head and Race Rocks few times...ending up snagging on the bottom. I once fished off Queen Charlottles Island, did very well drifting for halibut.

quote:Originally posted by lawlu

Does anyone do well drifting on Contstance, or is it strictly anchoring there?
Not recommended to drift on constance. The bottom is too rocky and the currents too strong. I have tried and lost a bunch of gear to show for it. Try Oak Bay flats.

Back