Halibut to open Feb. 1/2010

rln

just got a call on this. Look for a DFO announcement has early as this Friday that Halibut fishing will open on February 1/2010 with a daily limit of 1 and 2 in possesion.

I must admit that i'm surprised. When will our quota be filled? August?

The might want to have the Halibut meeting first?

just DFO delivering on what was promised last fall. They said there would be an early announcement with an early start to the season.
Can always purchase more quota to keep the season going past August.
Gerry... you should now by now that I would not be post something like this since it directly effects the business I work for.

Rob, interesting that the SFAB has not been advised via the web?

But then this is DFO we are discussing.

quote:Originally posted by The Jackel

quote:Originally posted by rln

just DFO delivering on what was promised last fall. They said there would be an early announcement with an early start to the season.
Gerry... you should now by now that I would not be post something like this since it directly effects the business I work for.

And where are we going to get the money from?

><))))">
Yes, i was under the impression there was no money to buy any quota

quote:Originally posted by Tofinoguy

That is the impression and no way to get any..

><))))">
Yes, i was under the impression there was no money to buy any quota

><))))">

maybe the same place as last year when plus or minus 400,000lbs of halibut was purchased from the commercial sector by the sport sector or maybe something different will happen to the the total poundage that makes up 12% of the quota number. Good chance of some interesting things to happen in the next few weeks that should be very positive for the Halibut sport fishery I think.

Kelly, they may open it up for 2 a day in the summer like last year
and then shut it down early ??
at least SCVI would get their early fishery and WCVI might
get their summer fishery ??

It now seems like a poorly kept secret? If we really do get the DFO fisheries notice on or by Friday that the hali season opens as you suggest rln, bananas and Last Chance then that is both good and bad news.

Yippee, it is indeed good news for the Georgia Strait, South Vancouver Island and other BC protected water hali angling areas that they can get out and fish when weather, tides and conditions permit.

However, to have to cajole, push, shove and complain angrily to DFO over a two year period just to get them to announce the season opening date in advance is abysmal. It will actually be only 16 days official advanced notice til Feb 1 but that is better than 48 hours notice or a late season opening I guess). The fishery in February, March and April is absolutely minimal in the overall picture. We were told on Nov 4th by a DFO rep at the Victoria SFAB meeting that we would know when the season opens by mid-November and that didn't happen. Probably the delay was caused by some anti-sportfishing worry wart bureaucrat in Ottawa who wouldn't sign the OK note eventhough the Pacific region said it is just fine! Plenty of advanced notice is vital to those who want to take time off work and organize a trip or two, or even for a guy to organize his charter customers according to the available tides.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

As of yesterday morning I had heard 1 a day-possesion 1.In the afternoon had a interesting conversation with someone in the know & was told there maybe a little surprise for the good coming.Knowing RIN he is usually in the know & his infomation is usually very accurated-great news for all of us.[8D]

Thanks Kelly , appreciate your honesty..
If this is true , which i'm not sold on at all right now ,I agree , WCVI just got shafted , could be shut down before our peak season , SAD...alot of pissed tourists... should be "Area " openings and closures spread out farely , this could be all wrapped up by July or early August..:(
FD....
quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Well, it's sad to say, but this is great of SCVI, but terrible for WCVI.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

><))))">

maybe the same place as last year when plus or minus 400,000lbs of halibut was purchased from the commercial sector by the sport sector or maybe something different will happen to the the total poundage that makes up 12% of the quota number. Good chance of some interesting things to happen in the next few weeks that should be very positive for the Halibut sport fishery I think.
Last year we had money in the bank from when the commercials bought some of our unused quota from years gone by. Spent it all last year, so we have no money to buy quota this year. Must say I like your optimism.

><))))">

there is still money in the bank:D

Can anyone tell me why the inside was open until the end of the year, 31 Dec ? If it's not done by area, why was the WC closed earlier?

Wow! I'm stoked!

Glass is 'half-full' Gov.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

The west was not closed???people were fishing them all the way up to dec 31st, main reason you dont hear much is it is a bit nasty on the west sometimes

Wolf

Back