Halibut....The Future.....

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Coming from Chris Bos, SFAB (Governer on this site), the increase came as a result of the IPHC's biologists concluding that a lot of our halibut are actually "Alaskan", hence should be allocated to Alaska's quota. Chris, correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't our biologists agree?

I was reading up a bit on the halibut cycles here on the coast. Apparently 70% of spawning Halibut are from Alaska. Form there the fry travel northwest along the alution islands. 20% of our halibut started there life in the Bearing Sea. By age 4 only 5% of the local fish remain in the Bearing Sea.

I think this is the most important factor for us, becuase we are considered to be downstream from Alaska. "Effects of juvenile bycatch now distributed downstream to areas the fish would have recruited too".

So if they bycatch in Alaska guess who gets 1/day, 2/pos.

In Alaska the TAC is split 80%-20%!!!

Off topic a little bit, but when I was co-ordinating the F/N seine boat fishery for Frazer River bound Sockeye, I had heard a rumor that Alaska had caught 8 million Frazer Sockeye in one particular year. Our return that year was around 7 million fish. Might have been heresay, but if it was true, I think we know where are fish went!

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Coming from Chris Bos, SFAB (Governer on this site), the increase came as a result of the IPHC's biologists concluding that a lot of our halibut are actually "Alaskan", hence should be allocated to Alaska's quota. Chris, correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't our biologists agree?

I was reading up a bit on the halibut cycles here on the coast. Apparently 70% of spawning Halibut are from Alaska. Form there the fry travel northwest along the alution islands. 20% of our halibut started there life in the Bearing Sea. By age 4 only 5% of the local fish remain in the Bearing Sea.

I think this is the most important factor for us, becuase we are considered to be downstream from Alaska. "Effects of juvenile bycatch now distributed downstream to areas the fish would have recruited too".

So if they bycatch in Alaska guess who gets 1/day, 2/pos.

In Alaska the TAC is split 80%-20%!!!

Off topic a little bit, but when I was co-ordinating the F/N seine boat fishery for Frazer River bound Sockeye, I had heard a rumor that Alaska had caught 8 million Frazer Sockeye in one particular year. Our return that year was around 7 million fish. Might have been heresay, but if it was true, I think we know where are fish went!

Take only what you need.

FA you should read "Salmon Wars" - it talks of the Alaskan bycatch and how Glen Clark tried to sue Alaska; however, the lawsuit was dropped by Campbell when he gained power. Clark was also trying to gain control over our saltwater fisheries since Ottawa clearly doesn't care - he created the Ministry of Fisheries, if I remember right, and was working on shifting saltwater power to it, but again, Campbell gave that the axe when he was elected. Can you imagine how different things might be if our SW fishery was managed provincially?

Captain Dudds

FA you should read "Salmon Wars" - it talks of the Alaskan bycatch and how Glen Clark tried to sue Alaska; however, the lawsuit was dropped by Campbell when he gained power. Clark was also trying to gain control over our saltwater fisheries since Ottawa clearly doesn't care - he created the Ministry of Fisheries, if I remember right, and was working on shifting saltwater power to it, but again, Campbell gave that the axe when he was elected. Can you imagine how different things might be if our SW fishery was managed provincially?

Captain Dudds

quote:Can you imagine how different things might be if our SW fishery was managed provincially?

Oh man!! Thats funny!!!! Can you say "Extinct steelhead" ??????

Can you say-- Fraser River gravel grab and too bad if sturgeon, pinks, chums and chinooks get trashed???

Can you say "We dont care what happens to wild salmon if we have fish farms?

And just think again how well they managed the Cheakamus river disaster!!! Those clowns running our saltwater??? I hope not!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Can you imagine how different things might be if our SW fishery was managed provincially?

Oh man!! Thats funny!!!! Can you say "Extinct steelhead" ??????

Can you say-- Fraser River gravel grab and too bad if sturgeon, pinks, chums and chinooks get trashed???

Can you say "We dont care what happens to wild salmon if we have fish farms?

And just think again how well they managed the Cheakamus river disaster!!! Those clowns running our saltwater??? I hope not!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Campbell wants to Repeal the Navigable Waters Act. He says it's old and outdated. "That act was passed in 1882. I would suggest that the world has changed dramatically in the 21st century from what it was like in 1882." The principle the act is based on goes back much further to the Magna Carta, signed in 1215. Since then, common law in many countries, including Canada, has protected the public's right to use waterways. He also last week cut the province's environment ministry by 11%. Thank god that the Federals have taken controll of the Fish Farms now or else he'd be expanding those too looking for some more revenue.

Take only what you need.

The province could never take over management of halibut as it is managed by an international agreement. Nor could Campbell repeal the NWPA as it is an Act of Parliament. We're getting way off the topic here.

An 80-20 split seems more than reasonable enough. Alaska, with a far greater TAC and fewer sport anglers, allocates 20% to their recreational sector and Washington State allocates 50%. Has anyone written to the Liberal fisheries critic Gerry Byrne? To see where they stand on this subject? One could hope a change of policy might come with a change in government?

His email is info@gerrybyrne.ca
Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

An 80-20 split seems more than reasonable enough. Alaska, with a far greater TAC and fewer sport anglers, allocates 20% to their recreational sector and Washington State allocates 50%. Has anyone written to the Liberal fisheries critic Gerry Byrne? To see where they stand on this subject? One could hope a change of policy might come with a change in government?

Take only what you need.

What would ever make you think that Alaska has fewer sport anglers? Like so many on this board ,a little research may be in order.

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

That's quoted from the BCWF president Bob Boswell.

For additional information contact:
Wayne Harling (250-753-1864)
Paul Rickard (250-748-9952)
Co-chairs, BCWF Tidal Waters Fisheries Committee, or:
Tony Toth, BCWF Executive Director (604-533-2293)

I do my research!!

Take only what you need.

Hey FA... you are aware that Boswell is not the BCWF prez arnt you ?

And Harling and Ricard are not the co-chairs of the Tidal Waters Committee.... and that Tony Toth is deceased.... might be time to update your sources, me thinks..............;)

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I have no Idea who any of them are, i just got the info from their website. © 2009 British Columbia Wildlife Federation If thats the case someone there needs to update their site.

Take only what you need.

Hey FA-- Just so you know, you pulled the Press release off the 2003 announcements. There are much more recent press releases on halibut from the BCWF. But I can see how the date could be overlooked.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Halarious, The issues are still the same.

Take only what you need.

Back