Halibut Spots around Victoria

N

natureboy145

Hey,

I am new to halibut fishing and was wondering about a couple spots I read about - specifically between out of Sidney between James Island and Van Isle as well as off of Trial Island out Oak Bay... Can anyone tell me whether these spots are any good and anything more specific about off of Oak Bay?

How about where do you launch out of Oak Bay?

Theres LOTS of halibut from pretty much James Island down and thru Haro and JDF. No one is going to shake loose with a hali spot more specific then "Oak Bay" or "Constance Bank".

As a rule, Halibut like gravel reefs. Fish them when you will have a slack current. Get ready to fish a lot to learn how Hali bite, it's a real curve.

Oak bay has Cattle Point which is fine for launching a small boat, but has not docs or anyhting, it's just a road that goes into the chuck. Better off to launch from Esquimal Anglers and run out.

Cattle point is ok. There isn't a dock there, but the warf does have tie downs so you can secure your boat however, they are below the water at hight tide so wear your boots or waders. The ramp is unusable at low tide and almost impossible to retrieve on your own if the wind is up. Don't stray too far left or right of the ramp approach as there are some hidden prop magnets just below the waterline.

Thanks,

The boat launch at Cattle point was perfect for our little boat (with a couple of us to keep lookout for rocks)... Unfortunately this was one of those learning days - nothing but a rockcod for our efforts...

Oak Bay produces some BIG fish every year. Make sure you have a good tide, feel the bottem when you jig, muddy and rocky are not what you want. Look for some structre on your GPS, a hole or pinacle works well, fish it for a while (bait and wait). Then you may find a spot of your own.

Back