Halibut Shark Hooks

Striper Sniper

Can someone tell me the proper way to use a shark hook for halibut? We had a 66 pounder at the boat and hooked it three times in the mouth and the hook came off each time, we ended up harpooning it! Also got some beauty marks in the gel coat from the shark hook. Thanks, SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Hi LC, I believe it is a No. 16 in any event it is about a foot long. Do you try to hook them in the upper mouth or the lower lip? I believe we tried both and he shook it out three times. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

push it deep in the mouth, turn 90 degrees and drive the point up through the gill plate or eyes on brown side

great method no matter the size

Thanks guys, hopefully I get to try again on Tues or Weds of this week.... :D:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

quote:You might consider this halibut gaff,
You should see his arsenal of Gaffs, Shark Hook, and Harpoon. The one Gaff is too big for the Striper.
quote:push it deep in the mouth
That was about as deep as I'd want to go. [8] Mr Flattie just had too much mojo. I guess I'm better at catching than being the boat *****. Then again I caught and landed two last year with just a small gaff so it must of been Striper's fault.

What SeaWolf has forgotten to mention is that not only did I have to bring my 66 pounder up, he had one on to and I had to bring both of them up from the bottom as his tangled around my line...... so I made him the "boat *****" :D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

... and I sacrificed a skookum leader for the cause. Twas fun and you were the man on that trip. Next time we harpoon first. Although I did do a fine job gaffing the first. Thumbs down to Shark Hooking a thrasher.

I aim to push the shark hook(mounted on an old shovel handle right threw the hali down its mouth twist 90 degrees. Pull back like twice as hard and hang on or let go depends on the fish!!!I carry both harpoon and shark hook.Harpoon gets nearly all the work. To hard to set the shark hook when your fishing alone or with the sun tanning sea sick gal !! LOL

Forgot to mention never missed a hali yet after driving in my harpoon or shark hook but I have found a dead 100 pound plus hali that somebody drilled and let go from the boat to be floated and controlled from a boat bumper!I tie off to a cleat use a rubber snubber to absorb some shock on the first run.I also have 3 ft wooden dowel made up to look like a big sewing needle! Tie one end of the rope off to a cleat slip the other end of the rope through the eye of the big wooden needle push it out the gills grab the end and start hootin an howlerin!!!
Tightlines Kronic

Hey Moe, that is how it was done when I was a lad, no longer legal........:( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Bring it in the boat,then shoot it,ok I think I got it,Thanks!

Give me a call tomorrow grasshopper, and all will be revealed!!! :D

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hey Bryan I would love to however, I am leaving for Barkley Sound at 5:00 am tomorrow, I will call you when I get back, SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

My .02

Put the tip of the hook into the mouth an poke it in behind the lower jaw and through the skin behind the teeth.
Might be a little easier than a gill plate if its flailing [?]

hook it in the lower lip and then pull it over the side once its in hit it with a kids baseball bat and throw some water at it before the slime sticks to your boat. harpooning is a bit of overkill for anything less than a hundred its only a fish. a good smack witha bat will shut them down quickly. g while your reeling in the deck should be cleared up and ready. bat and gaff handy for you

Back