Halibut Response Letter

T

tofinofish

For those that didn't see this yet from a lady who knows Shyyyte about the West Coast!!!

Ministerial Statement on Pacific Halibut Feb 15, 2011

Our Government understands the value and significance of the Pacific halibut fishery to British Columbians. The current sharing formula, which allocates 88% of the harvest to commercial fishermen and 12% to recreational harvesters, has been in place since 2003. Since then there have been a number of attempts by representatives of each sector to develop an acceptable way to transfer allocation between them.

The most recent round of discussions took place throughout 2010. I’m disappointed to report that those discussions have reached an impasse and stakeholders have been unable to reach a consensus. Because of this, a ministerial decision is required to move forward for the 2011 season.

As Canada’s Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, I have been entrusted with managing our precious marine resources responsibly and sustainably. This responsibility includes ensuring that we meet our various international obligations with regards to conservation. All fish management decisions are made to meet the following three priorities: conservation, sustainability of the fishery and economic viability. It is with these in mind that I announce the following:

The 2011 Pacific halibut recreational fishing season will open March 1st. Recreational anglers with a tidal license will be able to catch one halibut per day with two in possession.

Our Government recognizes the value of the recreational fishery to British Columbians and the economic opportunities it provides. Therefore, for the 2011 season only, we will undertake a trial to make available to interested recreational stakeholders experimental licenses that will allow them to lease quota from commercial harvesters. This will provide access to halibut beyond the limits of the standard recreational license, giving those who choose to participate greater stability for business planning purposes.

As for the future, clearly it is in the best interests of all sectors to come to a long-term solution that recognizes the important contribution each makes to British Columbia. To achieve this, I have asked my Parliamentary Secretary, Randy Kamp, Member of Parliament from Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge-Mission, to work with my officials to develop options for my consideration prior to the start of the 2012 season. These options will need to meet the following objectives:

o Conservation of the resource through enhanced monitoring of the recreational fishery, thereby keeping all halibut fisheries accountable for maintaining catches within the total allowable catch.

o Economic prosperity through predictable access for all users.

o Flexibility through an effective mechanism for transfers between the sectors.

I have long held the belief that those who participate in and depend on a fishery to make their living need to be able to provide input into how that fishery is managed. Ideally, that happens in a collaborative and constructive manner. Many stakeholders from both sectors have clearly articulated their current positions, but I encourage continued dialogue about new approaches between interested parties and my officials. The sooner a permanent solution is found, the sooner British Columbians can put uncertainty behind them and look forward to a viable future for this fishery.

The people in Egypt have taught us an important lesson lately, that people in power can be removed

The people in Egypt have taught us an important lesson lately, that people in power can be removed

Roger that Jay. I am exploring what would be involved in forming a coalition of groups fighting the federal conservatives on several different issues.

We are not alone in this. This is an unjust administration that is demonstrating how it will continue to run this country.

Power in numbers. We just need to unite them.

And we will.

NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
February 15, 2011
B.C. Sportfishing Coalition
SPORT FISHERS SLAM HALIBUT PLAN
RICHMOND – The B.C. Sportfishing Coalition panned Fisheries Minister Gail Shea’s
plan for the 2011 recreational halibut fishery. “Minister Shea and Conservative MPs in
B.C. have abandoned recreational anglers and sided with a small group of well-connected
commercial quota holders,” said coalition spokesperson Rob Alcock. “The decision to
leave the halibut allocation policy unchanged will punish recreational anglers, the
businesses that support them, and the thousands of people who are employed in sport
fishing in the province.”
In 2003, former Fisheries Minister Robert Thibault allocated 88% of Canada’s Total
Allowable Catch (TAC) of halibut to 436 commercial quota holders and allocated 12% to
the province’s 100,000 recreational halibut anglers. Recreational anglers have long
opposed the policy and argued that it privatizes Canada’s common-property halibut
resource.
Since 2003, recreational anglers have faced shortened seasons and a 50% reduction in
catch limits. During the same period, commercial halibut quota became a tradable
commodity and in 2010 less than half of the 436 commercial quota holders actually
fished their catch. The rest simply leased out their rights and collected royalty cheques.
Amazingly, while DFO claims that the commercial fishery is accountable, DFO staff now
acknowledge that they do not know who actually owns the 436 commercial quotas that
control 88% of Canada’s halibut TAC.
“Shea’s suggestion that individual anglers can now seek to lease quota from commercial
quota holders is confirmation of her view that Canada’s halibut resource is private
property owned by the lucky few,” said Alcock. “Over the past two months, recreational
anglers have held meetings, written letters and sought the support of B.C.’s Conservative
MPs. I expect they will remember this decision when those MP’s look to anglers for
support in the coming months,” said Alcock.
-30-
For more information please contact:
Rob Alcock
B.C. Sportfishing Coalition
778-868-8779

Back