Halibut Reports 2009 South Island

I ran 3 rods today, one with octo, one with whole herring and one with cut plug. There was definately a clear winner.

I ran THREE rods. I also drove the truck to the launch, drove the boat, set the anchor, set the hooks, pulled the anchor, cleaned the fish. Oh wait, you are asking if there was more than one person on board....

Yup always have one cutty out somedays it will get all the fish,hally are not always scavengers.

Way to go guys as we are done over across the pond except the western end of the straits. Glad you guys are still catching. I am commenting on the empty stomachs. A bunch of us have come to the conclusion that like other fish, sometimes they throw up when they are hooked trying to dislodge the hook. Marlin and sailfish do it. I have had a few come up to the boat and puke like crazy and shrimp and/or fish go everywhere. When we open them up their stomachs are empty. so it appears they are not eating or finding food.

I have had cabezon just below the boat do the same. Big yellow cloud in the water. I sometimes think thats why lings come to the top of the water with their mouths open, trying to dislodge the hook.

On another note, do you ever get lings on your side when halibut fishing? We never do. We cover a lot of areas and go over a lot of rock piles. Since we got the halibut opened up early we have never nailed a ling. In the ocean the lings nail everything. We either have a huge poaching problem or commercials have a fishery I don't know about. I am not talking about the San Juans but Southern side of the straits. I catch a lot of lings in the ocean and with our yelloweye non catch law, our Lingcod have rebounded in the ocean all of the way to California. But we are kicked off of the deeper water in the ocean so our recreational sector only gets a few days a year offshore.

quote:A bunch of us have come to the conclusion that like other fish, sometimes they throw up when they are hooked trying to dislodge the hook.

I quite well believe that. Regarding the lings, I have never caught a ling here in the strait while hali fishing. Swiftsure bank yes, WCVI yes. Here, I blame a low abundance and somewhat dissimilar habitat.

Has anybody been catching any halis in the jdf lately? Putting a new motor on the boat this week and might go giver a try this weekend.

Fished Oak Bay on Monday. Currents were great....Nothing but a bunch of doggies! Crabbing was decent though.

BH

Traditional closure is for the month of January...
with the reduced TAC, we might see a later opening and earlier
closure.

Back