Halibut Quota Ad on SportfishingBC Home page - Still there!

Fish-Hunter

Yes, isn't that nice. They took Wolf's thread down, I believe that it was very close to or just over 2000 views in less than 24 hours. Obviously, goes to show that this is a very serious issue to many on this site. Lots of people have now left the site to join other sites. This is a sad day here for the sake of a couple of hundred dollars???? What ever the money amount is, is not the point, it is the principle of taking and running that particular ad on a site that so dedicated to sport fishing. The thought that anyone on here would be receptive of that ad, well obviously there was not much thought there other than for the money to run the ad.

If you are not sure what we are talking about here, go to the Sport FishingBC Home page:
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/index.html
and on that page you will find the ad for purchasing halibut quota, yes that is what I said, and ad promoting the purchase of Halibut Quota from Commercial Quota Holders. Now the trick here is that if you go to the home page from this forum you will not see the ad, they have blocked it from view via this forum link. However if you click on one of the other tabs on that page and then go back to the home page (you may have to try a couple of times) Voila, there it is in all of it glory. The link I have included does show the ad I believe.

The Administrators have been asked to remove the ad as many of us find it to be a slap in the face to the people that are supporting this site. They did respond, but in defense of the ad, and they have not removed it, instead they removed Wolf's whole thread on the issue. This thread will likely be removed soon also. With a heavy heart, I have decided that I will not be making regular contributions to this site until that ad is completely removed and an apology is put forth to everyone.

I will be participating at this forum for general discussions: http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/forum.php this seems to be where a lot of the people that have already left, have gone to. A great forum with the same type of format as this one. I will also be using this site for fishing reports: http://www.zurtrolures.ca/reports/ another great site, if you have not seen it, check it out now before they delete this thread too. Sign on and make some reports.

Cheers to all of the great people that I have encountered here, I hope to see you on the other sites and on the water.

Over and out.

This was the response on Wolf's thread by the Admin.

Admin said:
Hi Guys,

We note, with no surprise, the response to the IQMI ad that was posted on our site yesterday. When the ad was submitted (it was not solicited), we were well aware that it would be contentious, given the previous discussions that had taken place around this issue on the Forum. (Yes, we do spend a lot of time reading your posts on a daily basis).

A little digging into the IQMI website reveals that it is not a government -sponsored undertaking, but rather a private sector enterprise with an executive comprised of three people, one with a background in finance and IT, the others with backgrounds in the commercial fishery. The company’s services include managing and selling quotas in behalf of their clients who can, by extension, only be commercial quota holders.

In one of the earlier posts on this issue the following was stated: “You can't afford to judge your advertisers, if you can, congratulations, your publication is probably one in a handful in the entire world.” Further to that, our position is that a democratically-run publication has no business judging its advertisers at all.

The entrepreneurs availing themselves of opportunity are not the ones at fault here. That the 88-12 allocation is in place is patently wrong. That there are quota holders who don’t own a boat is patently wrong. But it’s not their fault that they hold and exercise those quotas, it’s the fault of the Federal Government, and particularly Fisheries and Oceans Canada, that enable them to do so.

With careful investigation, we could no doubt find cause to criticize any or all of our advertisers for any number of reasons. And they could no doubt do the same to us. But it is their investment that enables us to provide the many features that our site delivers, including the Forum. We appreciate and share your passion for sport fishing and the many businesses it supports.

Peter

I think it will take a mass exodus of the paid advertisers to make them re-think the ad being on the site. A bunch of free chatroom users leaving doesn't hurt the bottom line as much.

I think it will take a mass exodus of the paid advertisers to make them re-think the ad being on the site. A bunch of free chatroom users leaving doesn't hurt the bottom line as much.

You think so R.R... Guess again! Remember some of us are not just any old "free chatroom users" If possible re- think that...You like, others ...seem to under estimate some of us!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just edited this photo really quick to attach to my signature so that it will show up in every post that I have ever made here. A quick and easy way to spread the word and get the point across that we are PO'ed.

attachment.php

Still waiting for a response from the site owners to see what the solution will be.

Considering how many forum members passionately feel about the halibut quota debacle and how it ultimately infringes on our hard fought common property rights, the rationale so far provided by the site owners is very lame to say the least. The bottom line is that the owners posted this ad for the sake of $ only (to make it a free speech/press issue is a red herring IMO).

If they don't want to listen to the complaints of many of their customers then let the free market deal with them and they can loose business for their short sighted greed. Like many others have said, pull the ad, or I am gone.:mad:

So what's your response site owners???

Also good on ya Last Chance, Holmes and many others that worked, emailed and phoned, etc. to get the site owners to pull this offensive ad.:D

After much consideration and consultation with business enterprises in the sport fishing industry, we have decided to remove the ad regarding the brokerage of halibut quota. This decision, while taking longer than many of you may have liked, required a period of due diligence on our part. We respect the fact that it is everyone's right to choose sides on controversial positions like the 88/12 decision, and as stated earlier, we do not agree with the Federal Government’s allocation of the resource. However, we hope that you would also respect that it is a dangerous precedent for an advertising medium such as ours, to disallow someone with a contrary viewpoint their space in our publication, whether it is paid advertising or in our free forum. Free speech, as it turns out, sometimes comes with a price and today we have made a business decision to align ourselves with the many other businesses in the industry who, we discovered, are quietly putting their money and other resources into the fight against the quota.

We would like to personally thank our moderator, Last Chance, for his input and maintaining the forum in a professional manner. It isn't always easy but always appreciated.

In closing, we would like to ask that as always, please use this forum for what it is intended…a place to share ideas, information and express your opinions on a wide range of topics, provided of course the rules of the forum are applied. We have never censored anyone unless a post was slanderous, inappropriate, or extremely personal in its nature. This will be the last post we will make on this topic. We know you will carry on commenting on this topic and many others, and we respect and appreciate the passion, information, humour and camaraderie that you share on our forum.

Best Regards,
Peter and Brian

Glad to see the ad gone, wish it wasn't put up in the first place but we all make mistakes. Hopefully not to much damage has been done and we can get everyone back that has left. This is a great site and some great people that make it that way. I think that this bump in the road has shown us that the other fishing sites are good too, but just don't quite do it as well as this site does. Anyways time will tell what damage has been done and hope we can all get back to the way it was. Casper

I'm back. Great big thanks to the owners for listening. You did the right thing.

After much consideration and consultation with business enterprises in the sport fishing industry, we have decided to remove the ad regarding the brokerage of halibut quota. This decision, while taking longer than many of you may have liked, required a period of due diligence on our part. We respect the fact that it is everyone's right to choose sides on controversial positions like the 88/12 decision, and as stated earlier, we do not agree with the Federal Government’s allocation of the resource. However, we hope that you would also respect that it is a dangerous precedent for an advertising medium such as ours, to disallow someone with a contrary viewpoint their space in our publication, whether it is paid advertising or in our free forum. Free speech, as it turns out, sometimes comes with a price and today we have made a business decision to align ourselves with the many other businesses in the industry who, we discovered, are quietly putting their money and other resources into the fight against the quota.

We would like to personally thank our moderator, Last Chance, for his input and maintaining the forum in a professional manner. It isn't always easy but always appreciated.

In closing, we would like to ask that as always, please use this forum for what it is intended…a place to share ideas, information and express your opinions on a wide range of topics, provided of course the rules of the forum are applied. We have never censored anyone unless a post was slanderous, inappropriate, or extremely personal in its nature. This will be the last post we will make on this topic. We know you will carry on commenting on this topic and many others, and we respect and appreciate the passion, information, humour and camaraderie that you share on our forum.

Best Regards,
Peter and Brian

Thank you gentlemen. Thank you very much! I would like to apologize for going off, but as you can tell this issue (Halibut Quota and or leasing of it) is very serious to me, and it really shook me to see the SFBC support it in any fashion. From my bias standpoint, I believe that you made the right decision by removing the ad.
THANK-YOU!

Back