Halibut Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
The International pacific halibut commission est a 126 cm halibut to be about 43 lb, and most fish over 40 lb are female

The International pacific halibut commission est a 126 cm halibut to be about 43 lb, and most fish over 40 lb are female

The table in the BC sport fishing regulations would put a 126cm halibut at about 59lb. They also say that most hali over 122 cm are female.

I'm pretty sure we are already pooched out of two weeks of the season so far because last year it opened on March 1st. I remember having to call in sick that day. So if they end it early or even earlier than they usually do.........what a joke.

EDIT: That's wrong, 126cm is 60lbs not 43 lbs.
The IPHC has been doing halibut surveys in BC and Alaska since 1923. The commercial fleet use their length/weight table to estimate catch (the boats do not weigh fish). The measurement is tip of snout to center of tail-126 cm=49.6 in=43 lb.(head and viscera removed) which is how the TAC is calculated.

The IPHC has been doing halibut surveys in BC and Alaska since 1923. The commercial fleet use their length/weight table to estimate catch (the boats do not weigh fish). The measurement is tip of snout to center of tail-126 cm=49.6 in=43 lb.(head and viscera removed) which is how the TAC is calculated.

Ok, you are talking about the dressed weight then not the whole (round) weight which is what the regs are based on.

Ok, you are talking about the dressed weight then not the whole (round) weight which is what the regs are based on.
I guess we are both right-regs are for length and hopefully DFO will estimate TAC based on dressed hoff wt. Tip-when dressing hal remove gonads on all fish (tail end of gut cavity) and scrape sweet meat from backbone as fish will spoil quickly otherwise.

I thinks its a bit retarded that they have not made circle hooks mandatory with this new reg, i remember back in 96 or when ever, we had non retention in the Gwaii for chinooks, but barbless hooks were still fine, lol

I am hoping that someone can answer this question for me. I have read contradictory statements on this thread and others. What I would like to know is this: did the SFAB in fact suggest slot sizes to DFO, or was that one of the options put to them?

Last edited by a moderator:
So,,

After shootin with a few of my wcvi fishin pals , NOT my guide buddies ,
we all pretty much came up with what we think will happen in 2013 !! atleast with guys that go out and catch larger Halibut consistently ,
And im pretty sure SVI will be doin the same...
and i also know there are ALOT better Hali fisherman here on this forum that can whack lunkers at will , and theres ALOT of you ... anyways...
, we were all unanimous about the Annual 6 put in place ,never kept more than i need ,catch n record and submit woulda been nice for the future,,,
IMHO , the Annual 6 does not gel very well with a lower slot ??
with only 6 annual fish allowed , whos gonna keep any low end slot fish ?? I'll be honest , Im Not , now im greety, right ?
if your only allowed 6 , dont ya think most guys are gonna selective fish , BIG TIME , thers gonna be some serious casualties imo..
i know it was discussed at the minutes , but i think its gonna be WAY WORSE than they anticipated , human nature
also , If i was a paying Guide Customer , which i am at times in other areas ,,, do you think i would keep the low end slot fish ??,
absolutely NOT , back in she goes , get me a bigger fish , I'll take my chance !! am i way off base here , if ya think i am , give your head a shake,,

just doesnt make sense, terrible idea on the slots
for the record , any fish over 70 lbs if not injured , i always released ,and it has not happened often ,
the meat quality is just not there ,
I took 12 stitches in my hand releasin an 80lb last year , NOT FUN , when ur 20 k from camp

average for us was 30 -50 lbs in our area...and 2012 was a Productive year for the guys that targeted em..
imo , less guys did target them last year , to far for too little return..what i was told at the docks ..plus inside was HOT for salmon , May - July

anyways , im not gonna rag on the guys that represented us , its done ,
why couldnt we just left it 1/2 , when the seasons done , its done , if ya really wanted a halli , book earlier,
Do hunters ***** that they cant shoot in August ?? It is what it is.
maybe the numbers would come back in the future , and we would get glory seasons of past , once again...
We gave , we will never get it back
this was not a conservation issue , but it was treated like one..

Hopefully things change in 15/85 Allocation , cause the current system failed ,

m2b

have a safe season fellas ...

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
It's sad to say but the under 126cm slot will never go away now,just like the under 83cm didn't go away at the end of last year.im sure some people are gonna be shocked when its closed in September again.i agree with fog ducker it should have stayed the same as last year.

So I've been reading this forum for days and still don't understand why most peope don't get it! This is not a conservation issue, it has nothing to do with saving big breeders. Hopefully these measures will extend the season long enough so all sportfishermen can keep a halibut for a whole season. Wether it be the local guy, the guided guy or the Lodge guest, not everyone can fish in July/August so the season will hopefully be long enough for everyone.
Why all the worry's of the danger of letting a big one go? Most people don't get a lot of big ones, some don't want them. If it looks to big just cut the line. Get a smaller one. If it's gut hooked so what. DFO has said it's not about conservation. They only record what has been brought back to the dock, and not what you released. They don't seem to care about by catch. Look at the commies.
There is no one that is happy with what we have, including those that have stood up for us to at least get what we have. Quit whinning and deal with it.

So,,

anyways , im not gonna rag on the guys that represented us , its done ,
why couldnt we just left it 1/2 , when the seasons done , its done , if ya really wanted a halli , book earlier.

Hopefully things change in 15/85 Allocation , cause the current system failed ,

m2b

have a safe season fellas ...

fd

From what I've read, the ultimate goal for SFAB was a "full length" season. This is best for the local economies, tourism, lodges, etc. It's likely not best for the halibut, the local fisherman, the paying clients.

Is this option the best choice for the canadian public? Maybe. Is there more that SFAB could have done to address the real problem? Maybe. Am I happy with this choice? No Do I blame the SFAB? No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back