Halibut Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Joeyb/Lorne or whatever your fawking name is......welcome to my ignore list and thanks for that nice pm. Want me to post it?

why dont you two take it to nexopia?

THANK YOU ROCKFISH GREAT POST!!!!

The SFAB receiving funding? Ha ha now that is funny! DFO won't even pay for a room large enough to cover an annual meeting of local SFAC.

Rockfish, I too became a member for a couple of reasons. The SVIAC wants to be both a strong voice for the rec fishery but equally as strong in support of the fish. The latter is the key to me. So long as that remains as a pillar of their mandate, I'm in. The SVIAC position on the whole halibut fiasco is that the rec fishery should have priority access over commercial as we hold the best use of the resource. Under that scenario we would expect a return to 2/3 limits and a season from Feb to Dec.

face it folks, the commercial sea food industry is writting the rules. unless you have a public commision, appointed or elected, that can be held accountable,game, set, match. last year is the first one where new members of the WDFW commisson ruled in favor of the sport sector. that commission was stacked with industry representation who did everything to screw the rec angler. unless you have a similar sea change, don't hold your breath.

I'm okay with the yearly limit...I am NOT okay with the size limit because I remember how well it worked for Chinooks back in 2000 (I think that was the year). I shudder to think how many salmon were deep-sixed because of that incredibly stupid rule, and this has the potential to produce the same type of results IMO. By the way, that Chinook slot limit was tried AFTER they had tried complete non-retention of Chinook a couple of years before.

yo mods time to close this thing down, everyone needs a timeout!

Why ? what do we have lose by having a discussion between anglers on such an important issue. Ultimately this is about the well being of our fishery and even its very survival. I am not so big on the spin that will come from the quota owner lobbyists trying to protect their money for nothing quota system or feed dissension within our community and misinformation to the public.

Sure emotions run high when another major attack on our fishery has been successful and people don’t always think or respond appropriately, frustration happens, the stakes are high. feelings get hurt and defensive reactions and even infighting, baiting, goading and sabotaging occur.

SFAB did the best job they could within the parameters they had to work with and the narrow scope purposely imposed on them by DFO and I am thankful for their efforts and sacrifice that it takes to volunteer, put yourself out there and be subject to scrutiny and unjustified criticism. I don’t believe anyone else could have done a better job and some owe them an apology including myself if I have implied even indirectly that any of them are at fault. SFAB did not have the luxury of pursuing many solutions within that process and under the rules DFO has established for that process I don’t think it is even possible to move into political areas such as reallocation.

They are forced to be short term focused, to protect the coming years fishery and balance between the rec sector subsets as best they can under parameters and based on information gathering mechanisms that feed a system that is arguably designed to systematically work against us.

The sport sector is difficult to manage for them, we are unique in Canada and we are a threat to other powerful interests that have the ear of government. If one wanted to design a system to make us go away over time a better job could not be done.

As a sector we took it on the chin one more time. It is what it is. I consider it a positive if these further restrictions generate anger and frustration but only if that anger and frustration is channeled constructively towards organizing and preparing for political and public relations efforts that can make a difference, both to our sector and to the fish.

For too long we have been fighting a rear guard action trying to slow the destruction of our wild fish and fishery. If we want to have wild fish and a vibrant sport fishery and economy we need to go on the offensive. Apathy is our enemy and perhaps now is the time for us to also be “Idle No More”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why ? what do we have loose by having a discussion between anglers on such an important issue. Ultimately this is about the well being of our fishery and even its very survival. I am not so big on the spin that will come from the quota owner lobbyists trying to protect their money for nothing quota system or feed dissension within our community and misinformation to the public.

Sure emotions run high when another major attack on our fishery has been successful and people don’t always think or respond appropriately, frustration happens, the stakes are high. feelings get hurt and defensive reactions and even infighting, baiting, goading and sabotaging occur.

SFAB did the best job they could within the parameters they had to work with and the narrow scope purposely imposed on them by DFO and I am thankful for their efforts and sacrifice that it takes to volunteer, put yourself out there and be subject to scrutiny and unjustified criticism. I don’t believe anyone else could have done a better job and some owe them an apology including myself if I have implied even indirectly that any of them are at fault. SFAB did not have the luxury of pursuing many solutions within that process and under the rules DFO has established for that process I don’t think it is even possible to move into political areas such as reallocation.

They are forced to be short term focused, to protect the coming years fishery and balance between the rec sector subsets as best they can under parameters and based on information gathering mechanisms that feed a system that is arguably designed to systematically over time work against us.

The sport sector is difficult to manage for them, we are unique in Canada and we are a threat to other powerful interests that have the ear of government. If one wanted to design a system to make us go away over time a better job could not be done.

As a sector we took it on the chin one more time. It is what it is. I consider it a positive if these further restrictions generate anger and frustration but only if that anger and frustration is channeled constructively towards organizing and preparing for political and public relations efforts that can make a difference, both to our sector and to the fish.

For too long we have been fighting a rear guard action trying to slow the destruction of our wild fish and fishery. If we want to have wild fish and a vibrant sport fishery and economy we need to go on the offensive. Apathy is our enemy and perhaps now is the time for us to also be “Idle No More”.

Are you volunteering to go on a Hunger Strike?

All kidding aside - your post is on the mark. Unfortunatly, I fear that there is a substantial divergence between internal interests in the SFAB and, although they may have been forced to vote on a predetermined outcome, we will be faced with the same challenges year over year as they are the legitimate voice of the sport sector. I don't anticipate the SVIAC, or any other one off group, to have a seat (vote) at the table next year. There can be a substantial lobbying effort but look how much is accomplished by some of the major $$$ players (Greenpeace, Sierra) within todays political framework. Yes, they get alot of media coverage but, guess what, the project they are protesting has a high probability of approval. No different for us. Major $$$ wins, hands down.

We need to change the system from inside the system and right now that is the SFAB.

I think Holmes said it best with "we will be right back here in Feb 2014 complaining about the same thing" - these issues go away once we are all on the water and we start to think about them through the winter months again. Oops, too late.

For the record - I'm not "ragging on" SFAB.

Why ? ...

Well said, Rockfish! To be successful we need to find consensus and become truly organized. Pick a team, get behind it and don't take your eye off the prize. We are in this together. Enough with the storming - let's start performing!

Canadian TAC is not going up for many years. It looks like its going down next year and for a few years after that. That's why we need to fix the 15/85 allocation. It's been done before, it use to be 12/88 and guess who led the charge to get it to 15/85... well the same guys some of you are criticizing on this forum.... It's no wonder that most of them have left this site..... Perhaps it's time to take back this forum from the sock puppets, slipper skippers and the misguided sheep....
GLG

Exactly...inadequate allocation is the #1 cause of this mess. Don't fall for the "seperatist divide and conquor" movement put forth by the sock puppets and slipper skippers. They know we are getting organized, and if we all stick together, we will make change. Its going to be hard for govt to argue with 300000 organized rec anglers that are P.O'd for the right reasons. Your local MLA's and MP's have now been designated as the official halibut complaints department, call em up and let them know what you think about short seasons and size restrictions. Better yet, attend some of the candidate debates for the provincial election, and ask the nominees how they fell about the current state of the rec fishery.

well i guess when members are getting threats maybe it is going just a little to far, thats why!

I did not pick up on that. I would suggest that the corrective action needed should be directed at those making threats,(remove their posts, warn them, suspend them) not killing an important debate. Why would we want to give someone making threats that much power.

Exactly...inadequate allocation is the #1 cause of this mess. Don't fall for the "seperatist divide and conquor" movement put forth by the sock puppets and slipper skippers. They know we are getting organized, and if we all stick together, we will make change. Its going to be hard for govt to argue with 300000 organized rec anglers that are P.O'd for the right reasons. Your local MLA's and MP's have now been designated as the official halibut complaints department, call em up and let them know what you think about short seasons and size restrictions. Better yet, attend some of the candidate debates for the provincial election, and ask the nominees how they fell about the current state of the rec fishery.

I totally agree that only thing that will guarantee that nothing changes is to just talk about it, and then do nothing. It is beyond high time for rec. anglers to get organized and united and STOP fighting amongst ourselves. As long as we do we are inffective to making any postive change for us. As a sector we have many strong and differing opinions, ideas, solutions, etc. (which is normal, expected and healthy to a point) but we can't let these keep us from working towards the long term goal of ensuring healthy, abundant wild fish populations in B.C. for genreations to come!

This is the long term solution to all our sectoral and resource allocation issues. It is the only option that is sustainable in the long term. We need to organize and unite to convince the general public and lobby local, Prov. and Fed. Govt's. that we must have abundant healthy fish for a healthy society and strong economy. This is why I am a member of SVIAC as this is their vision and mission and there are actively making gains towards their goal.

Come see for yourself and come out to the SVIAC AGM, FEB. 28, 6:30pm, Four Points Shereton in Langford (behind Costco)
If you like what you see and hear, then join us and be part of the solution!

Why is it that SFAB, SFI, SVIAC, PSF, BCWF... LMNOP... Can't band together and deal with the real issue - Allocation!

Seems like a divided effort. I know they all have their own interests but they seem to agree on this.
If they could pool funds, members and executive influence... we would have a powerfull force.

It is the Government failure that got us into this mess.

Thi

Tips

Why is it that SFAB, SFI, SVIAC, PSF, BCWF... LMNOP... Can't band together and deal with the real issue - Allocation!

Seems like a divided effort. I know they all have their own interests but they seem to agree on this.
If they could pool funds, members and executive influence... we would have a powerfull force.

It is the Government failure that got us into this mess.

Thi

Tips

Excellent idea. One of SVIAC's main goals is to build as many alliances with like minded groups as we can. There is strength in unity!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not pick up on that. I would suggest that the corrective action needed should be directed at those making threats,(remove their posts, warn them, suspend them) not killing an important debate. Why would we want to give someone making threats that much power.

Totally agree with Rockfish. Jackal...if you don't like the debate move on to another thread.

That's funny you should say that. I just got back from Superstore and they were selling a whole sockeye with head off for about 20 bucks. I picked it up and it was a Pink!! I said to the lady running the seafood counter "This is a funny looking sockeye, never seen one with spots on it's tail and a hump back."

A bit off topic here but I came across an article relating to this... Cheap sushi anyone? Lol

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/f...nt-study-finds/article8912618/?service=mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back