Halibut Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many login ID's do you have ? By my count you are up to 4....
Don't you find it hard to juggle that many without tripping up?
Oh yea you did trip up on the thread "minutes from SFAB main board" where I called you out.
Good thing you deleted that post before others noticed also.
I don't know who you are but I'll find out.....

For the record I don't think it is a recently banned member as I know him and he has assured me it's not him.
He has given me his word that his IP address is blocked and can't post even if he wanted to.
Good enough.....
GLG

You're back... do I get to look forward to you calling me out again too?

Seems you like to focus on the person and not this issue... Now I am guilty of that with this post...

BTW, I assume you are not accepting my previous bet?

You're back... do I get to look forward to you calling me out again too?

Seems you like to focus on the person and not this issue... Now I am guilty of that with this post...

BTW, I assume you are not accepting my previous bet?

Oh I'm back alright..... never left..... Had to answer many requests to keep going.
Are you sure you want to make that bet captain?
GLG

I can't see the 60 pounder lasting. It doesn't make sense. It looks great on paper, but its just not realistic. Only very experienced guys will be able to handle and release fish without injury. What needs to happen is a lot of video footage of what these big fish will be going through while being released. Once a few good videos of a 100 pound white hali swimming(sinking) get out. There will be discussion and they wont have a choice. I just got a Go pro and I plan on recording all my releases (doing the best job I can). The first large Hali footage that I don't think will make it will be getting posted all over the place and sent to any news outlet that wants to have a story. Needs to be 1/1 with no size limit, bottom line. This 1/2 will cause way more harm to the stock. I catch on average 15-20 halis over 60 pounds a year. More then half will have hooks in there gut. I know its tough on the lodges but it will be tougher down the road when there is no halibut, and lets be honest the big chinooks are what the clients are really after.

Having said that, Im very happy that I will be able to fish for hali still. and I appreciate all the hard work everyone who has volunteered with this issue. Its a bit of a loss but its not a total loss and it could have been worse. I think we just need to tweak a few things, like maybe getting another 5% tac from the bad guys ;-).

cheers,

just my .05

wooly

You are entitled to feel that way but I would say without the lodges and their economic clout to the economy the rec fishery would hold even less importance with DFO. It has been said before that all the SFAC and SFAB boards are mandated to have equal representation from the primary and secondary users.

Oh I'm back alright..... never left..... Had to answer many requests to keep going.
Are you sure you want to make that bet captain?
GLG

I'm positive - if (when) you are wrong how do I collect?

Edit: I also don't think you should leave; you positivly contribute to this forum and I was quite surprised that the little back and forth banter was enough to make you consider hanging your hat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how to quote others...

"I sincerely feel sorry for the few average rec guys who will have their "Trophy" halibut up to the boat this year and will have to let it go. " -Profisher

I don't consider a 65-75lb hali a trophy fish. Just a good catch and good meat for the freezer.
I have no problem releasing a fish over 100lb for conservation reasons. I do have an issue with releasing a 65-75lb fish due to allocation.

I do not feel this size limit was the best option and I am not in favor.
Also if I were a betting man, I would bet that the season is still cut short. Maybe they will give us an extra couple of weeks to try to prove this worked but that is it.

Tips

obvious yes and no, if you wanted the fish and were out the client plays another and you tag it saves on gas and in the case if the season closes early you have some meat.
That's almost gifting in my mind cuz I like to reel my own fish in

Me too fishtofino. Then I will use my resources to hire a lawyer and challenge it ina court of law. I will contact every media outlet and have them cover the story. Win or lose I will bring national attention to this. I will be known as the guy who said enough is enough and stood up for what he believed in. And at the end of it all you will be known as the lodge owner in tofino that for years that nodoby cares about or likes. No different then today.
Well I sure don't give a fawk if you like me, i have zero respect for you. Lots do like me and use my service year after year for going on 30 years. Good luck with your court battle with DFO, you'll have to cut a lot of lawns to pay for your lawyer, loser

Would be great if the personal pissing matches could be done through Private Messages.
Good input and good debate is being lost to this crap.

Tips

clearly another sfab victory.....
if i get a big one he's coming in for some photo op's prior to be "released"
should be lots dead fish washing up on the shore with trebles down there throat.

thanks dfo and sfab for looking out for my safety, my best interests and the well being of the fishery stocks your all doing a great job.

one has to wonder exactly who benefits the most with an extended season...lodges perhaps?......one also has to wonder what percentage of board members are directly affected with a shortened season....holmes*

It seems to me vested interests were put before common sense and doing the right thing.It should have been 1/1 and when TAC is caught its done. This idea of releasing gut hooked, bleeding 60+ fish just doesn't add up to conservation measure but rather a poor way to extend the season. Also I notice the attack people get when they have a different opinion to share, its a good way to shut up anybody that might want to add their 2 cents worth.

We have seen the end to ever being able to keep a big hali in BC waters. When compromises are made by the sport sector to DFO we never get them back. Anyone who feels this will be over turned in the future is kidding themselves.

I understand all of my points below have been stated throughout this feed and others but here we go again.
1) Size limit based on extending season not conservation
2) 15% allocation to an industry that brings in more revenue than fish farming and all commercial fishing combined.
3) DFO headache to enforce
4) Look at who ownes the majority of commercial licenses as well as processing plants, our lobbying will never out weigh J Pattison in BC.

Annual limits are important and justified, max size restrictions are pointless and possibly dangerous.

sooo, when we deplete all the males 5 years from now, will the females have to get on a waiting list for in vitro if they want a family? It's been mentioned before, has it really been thought through though? Just another way we are screwing with nature IMH and I'm sure no studies at all have been done on the imbalance implications.

That said, its been that way for years with crabs and there are always males, so maybe there is some weird mojo that happens under the water that I just don't understand! Can anyone enlighten me?

sooo, when we deplete all the males 5 years from now, will the females have to get on a waiting list for in vitro if they want a family? It's been mentioned before, has it really been thought through though? Just another way we are screwing with nature IMH and I'm sure no studies at all have been done on the imbalance implications.

That said, its been that way for years with crabs and there are always males, so maybe there is some weird mojo that happens under the water that I just don't understand! Can anyone enlighten me?

Yeah, Deewar, the mojo is called insignificance! The few halis we rec anglers take of the total hali biomass will not in any way have any impact on the stocks - no matter if you throw them all back dead or not. It's our own ethics that should prevent us from doing the least harm possible but in reality we barely exist.

It seems to me vested interests were put before common sense and doing the right thing.It should have been 1/1 and when TAC is caught its done. This idea of releasing gut hooked, bleeding 60+ fish just doesn't add up to conservation measure but rather a poor way to extend the season. Also I notice the attack people get when they have a different opinion to share, its a good way to shut up anybody that might want to add their 2 cents worth.

agreed clearly this is to accommodate the lodges and guides.
i have no issue with the annual limit its the pure stupidity of the slot that has me so angered its going to kill a lot of fish needlessly and its going to put people doing the right thing in danger when there leaning over the side dealing with these large fish.
if gifting is the problem(and it is) a guides licenses shouldn't count when they are are out with guests. not just for halibut but salmon as well.

sfab true colors lobby group fro guides and lodges.

Do you think the only gifting is by guides. I think not! What about the local or camping angler who likes to gift his neighbor a fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gifting should be irrelevant now that there is a 6-per year limit. As long as the fish gets recorded on a license it doesn't matter what you do with it.

We have seen the end to ever being able to keep a big hali in BC waters. When compromises are made by the sport sector to DFO we never get them back. Anyone who feels this will be over turned in the future is kidding themselves.

I understand all of my points below have been stated throughout this feed and others but here we go again.
1) Size limit based on extending season not conservation
2) 15% allocation to an industry that brings in more revenue than fish farming and all commercial fishing combined.
3) DFO headache to enforce
4) Look at who ownes the majority of commercial licenses as well as processing plants, our lobbying will never out weigh J Pattison in BC.

Annual limits are important and justified, max size restrictions are pointless and possibly dangerous.

this is 100% accurate.
thanks sfab and dfo also known as dumb and dumber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back