Halibut Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
i do not think they sold out,somewhat forced to decide,, i think they should have walked out in disgust of the options, and not casted a single vote. solidarity in protest!!!!

If you are just paying lip service to DFO, Commercial interests etc. You should have some pride and resign on mass! Unless there is a hidden agenda...

That said, if the modelled average weight is reduced to increase the season length (inverse relationship) then why not realize that having a 126cm slot limit is ..... (Insert you characterization or favourite expletive) and accept an April to Sept season? Hell, even April to August.

<stuff clipped>
It's my understanding that this is because the majority of those who SHOWED UP preferred a longer season with somewhat smaller fish to a much shorter season with some chance of at larger fish. It's really not that complicated if one actually reads all of the relevant threads here in an unemotional way.
1) The TAC available has gone down.
2) The DFO presented several models from which to chose that would use up the available TAC. Some models provided shorter seasons, some models longer.
3) More people preferred longer.
4) The SFAB picked what they perceived to be the best choice for the majority of fisherman from a list of options that made no one happy.

If you're wondering why the list of options made no one happy - see (1) above. While one can argue about theoretical models that weren't presented, the quality of the models, the desirability of a larger TAC, the fairness of the current rec TAC allocation and many, many other things, none of those were variables that were changeable under the process in which the SFABs participate.

Rather than ragging on the SFAB volunteers it would likely be more productive to discuss potential lobbying efforts, protests, approaches, financial means etc to gain more TAC. Some of those discussions have been had in these threads but they are hidden under so much whining and mis-directed anger that no sensible approach or combined force could possible arise out of the group garbage pile. Moreover, the ones who care enough to show up and participate in (an admittedly flawed) process, would rightfully feel discourage by the nonsense they are subjected to here by people who didn't show up and who question their motives, sensibility etc. As long as sport fishermen remain misdirected and argumentative amongst themselves, the TAC issues won't change.

I think the DFO are doing the right thing in protecting the large breeding stock. Most of the large halibut are females anyway. Killing large females capable of producing thousands more eggs if not millions than smaller one's is a crime. Same thing happened with striped bass and redfish in Florida and East coast USA As well as several other species. Same in South Africa with the kob, steenbras and several others.
These fish were endangered and since their slot limits came in effect there is more fish now for everybody to enjoy than in recent years. I hope it also apply to commercial fishing.
Sorry for stirring the pot of unhappy anglers and guides.

The south coast suffers from a shortened season. Rec guys and guides alike. We used to fish Feb, lost that. Now March 15 and if many had there way we would loose all of March & April.

It's my understanding that this is because the majority of those who SHOWED UP preferred a longer season with somewhat smaller fish to a much shorter season with some chance of at larger fish. It's really not that complicated if one actually reads all of the relevant threads here in an unemotional way.
1) The TAC available has gone down.
2) The DFO presented several models from which to chose that would use up the available TAC. Some models provided shorter seasons, some models longer.
3) More people preferred longer.
4) The SFAB picked what they perceived to be the best choice for the majority of fisherman from a list of options that made no one happy.

If you're wondering why the list of options made no one happy - see (1) above. While one can argue about theoretical models that weren't presented, the quality of the models, the desirability of a larger TAC, the fairness of the current rec TAC allocation and many, many other things, none of those were variables that were changeable under the process in which the SFABs participate.

Rather than ragging on the SFAB volunteers it would likely be more productive to discuss potential lobbying efforts, protests, approaches, financial means etc to gain more TAC. Some of those discussions have been had in these threads but they are hidden under so much whining and mis-directed anger that no sensible approach or combined force could possible arise out of the group garbage pile. Moreover, the ones who care enough to show up and participate in (an admittedly flawed) process, would rightfully feel discourage by the nonsense they are subjected to here by people who didn't show up and who question their motives, sensibility etc. As long as sport fishermen remain misdirected and argumentative amongst themselves, the TAC issues won't change.

I agree with your last sentence.

I will ask how many of the posts in this thread are "ragging on" the SFAB? I think most, like myself, are trying to understand WHY these decisions were made - you are saying the TAC was reduced so we needed to impose a slot limit to ensure an extended season.

I do not agree with this - the SVI guys say they need an early season so the oct-dec period does not support them. Most of the lodges are wrapped up in Sept. I've been out in region 23/123 and Nootka in Oct/Nov and it is very quiet. I'm too busy eating food in Dec...

The only group that MIGHT benefit with having Hali open in oct, nov, dec are the independent guides - I doubt this amounts to much,if any.

So... I'm a bit confused here. I completely understand point 4 but don't understand how that decision was reached. I also appreciate the fact that the extended season is NOT guaranteed vis a vis last season. Therefore, the vote for a longer season is not guaranteed. What has effectively happened is a slot size is imposed and we have no defined season duration - only a start date.

Round and round we go

Bingo!!!!
I see all these posts slagging everyone but they come from members that have hardly posted.
Well said Seadna

I think the DFO are doing the right thing in protecting the large breeding stock. Most of the large halibut are females anyway. Killing large females capable of producing thousands more eggs if not millions than smaller one's is a crime. Same thing happened with striped bass and redfish in Florida and East coast USA As well as several other species. Same in South Africa with the kob, steenbras and several others.
These fish were endangered and since their slot limits came in effect there is more fish now for everybody to enjoy than in recent years. I hope it also apply to commercial fishing.

are you saying halibut were endangered until last years slot and now there's more fish? and no it doesn't apply for commercial or fn fishing.

A few quick questions as I am not usually a Halibut hunter, but do want to catch a few: Just basics, I hate reading all the wordy releases.
1) Explain how different the rules are over last year regarding catch, size etc. Outside of the 1/2 limit.
2) When did the season actually close last year, August 1st? Will it be open until October this season?
3) Is it true that most of the larger Hali are female?
4) Why can't guys who want to attack one another on this site take it to private messaging. Gets a bit immature and quite boring to see you guys go back and forth at each other. Don't mind the questioning, but attacking each others character etc is not needed.
Thanks.

None of this is about conservation. It's an issue of allocation. Conservation of the species was taken into account prior to the TAC decision.

A few quick questions as I am not usually a Halibut hunter, but do want to catch a few: Just basics, I hate reading all the wordy releases.
1) Explain how different the rules are over last year regarding catch, size etc. Outside of the 1/2 limit.
2) When did the season actually close last year, August 1st? Will it be open until October this season?
4) Why can't guys who want to attack one another on this site take it to private messaging. Gets a bit immature and quite boring to see you guys go back and forth at each other. Don't mind the questioning, but attacking each others character etc is not needed.
Thanks.
merritboy1 Educate yourself.. they are no less than 500 plus pages of this stuff on the forum. Most are getting pretty tired repeating themselves.
Then form your own opinion.

Bingo!!!!
I see all these posts slagging everyone but they come from members that have hardly posted.
Well said Seadna

merritboy1 Educate yourself.. they are no less than 500 plus pages of this stuff on the forum. Most are getting pretty tired repeating themselves.
Then form your own opinion.

Wow, two overly contributory posts.

Apparently you are not allowed to post unless a user exceeds Islandgirls "mandatory threshold" of previous posts and if you ask a question you should educate yourself.

Last time I checked the purpose of a forum is about sharing information.

Some people sure have their backs up - I wonder why?

Thanks.

1) no 126cm slot size
2) early Sept
3) yes, but think LARGE
4) to subjective to qualify

Sorry s_d... I give you a gif too...

It should be your avatard ;)

gif_fleischer_onemanband320.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow Tuesday? This thread has gone 10 pages in under 9 hours and 2 people have left.. It has to be a SFBC record of some sort? :D

My deck hand is already looking forward to tailing his first 55 to 70 lb Halibut, Ill watch... Hey guys it is what it is.. No one is to blame, and these guys did the best they could with the hand they where dealt. We need to secure more TAC...just enjoy fishing

Pretty much J-dub... You got the Varnished boat wet yet? ;)

See post from Alaska Department of Fish and Game regarding Pacific halibut species profile.
"Male halibut rarely exeeds 3 feet"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back