Halibut Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
i still do not understand the reasoning behind having a size limit, it makes absolutely zero sense........holmes*

Because somebody wanted to extend the season and this was the way they determined it feasible.

What doesn't make sense is why somebody wants to fish Halibut in OCT-DEC off the WCVI.

Don't follow - are you suggesting I contact DFO and express my discontent?

If so, I don't see much point. My postion (as a sport fisher) was articulted by the SFAB in early Feb - that is the way DFO views this process. Nothing less, nothing more.

Contacting DFO individually will cumulatively result in zero net gain. There needs to be a collaborative effort outside of the SFAB process as it appears there are a few flies in the honey.

Not sure why you can't follow perhaps reread the post.
You are not happy with the process .... fine complain to DFO....
Not happy with the rules..... fine complain to DFO
I suspect you don't give a wit but like to stir things up for your entertainment.
You just have to click on your member name and search your posts to see how you roll.
GLG

I suspect you don't give a wit but like to stir things up for your entertainment.
You just have to click on your member name and search your posts to see how you roll.
GLG

So sorry to disturb your humble afternoon...

i still do not understand the reasoning behind having a size limit, it makes absolutely zero sense........holmes*

It's called sharing the harvest and extending the TAC for a complete season.

GLG

yep, a spade is a spade. He does nothing buts wants everything. So hypocritical.

I can totaly live with the six per year.... But a size limit is crazy, as already stated it can be very dangerous trying to tape out and release mid to large size halibut. Cheers FC
Yah, I'd rather see 5 a year of which one can be over the 126 mark before 6 a year without. That certainly sucks for those of us that only go out 2 or 3 times a year and that 1 80 lber may be your only shot for a nice slab the whole year. It would also allow us to keep one if we felt it was poorly hooked and/or bleeding like a stuck pig.

Oh well, maybe we can all join a class action lawsuit with the family of the first person that dies getting knocked over the gunnel in big swells trying to measure a hali that didn't feel like being docile.

So sorry to disturb your humble afternoon...
Yea I'll bet.....
You and your other ID's are why we are losing members to this online community.
Hey I'm all for having a conversation but I'm drawing the line to your BS.
You want entertainment..... go see a movie or turn on the TV.
Get lost you are no longer welcome around here with your childish moves.
You don't want to leave???? well I'm gone then....
GLG

As previously stated the SFAB was faced with making a very unpopular decision.
In order to work with a smaller TAC they were faced with having a very short season
or additional restrictions and a regular season.
Either way, they are screwed because they can't make everybody happy.

I think you have to put yourself in their shoes and realize they did the best they
could with the options available.

Yea I'll bet.....
You and your other ID's are why we are losing members to this online community.
Hey I'm all for having a conversation but I'm drawing the line to your BS.
You want entertainment..... go see a movie or turn on the TV.
Get lost you are no longer welcome around here with your childish moves.
You don't want to leave???? well I'm gone then....
GLG

Are you being serious??? over sensitive is an understatement. I've had more heated debates (which is what this is) with a 5 year old. Granted, in person.

BTW - I don't have any other "aliases", just this one.

Are you being serious??? over sensitive is an understatement. I've had more heated debates (which is what this is) with a 5 year old. Granted, in person.

BTW - I don't have any other "aliases", just this one.
Get real..... we know who you are.... we know how you roll.... others on here have pointed you out.
I'm just the one that has made it public...

Well, as a fellow fisherman and a Canadian owner of the resource, I have to tell my favorite guide, that I can't justify the cost of coming to the Island for hali fishing again this year!!
That makes it 2 years in a row that it just didn't make Hali fishing financiably reasonable to Canadians that don't live on the B.C. coast!!
Get the TAC where it belongs, not in Pattisons hands and the debating and B.S. will end!!

As previously stated the SFAB was faced with making a very unpopular decision.
In order to work with a smaller TAC they were faced with having a very short season
or additional restrictions and a regular season.
Either way, they are screwed because they can't make everybody happy.

I think you have to put yourself in their shoes and realize they did the best they
could with the options available.

Nothing is ideal, they were left with no good options.

With that in mind, why did they not go with 1/1? I'm asking since it was the most popular response (overwhelming) in the poll section? Perhaps it wasn't really a viable option and had risk of early season closure if too much was caught?

Whats the reasoning behind the 1/2 if there is a 6/year limit?

and how exactly is this accomplished by having a size limit?......holmes*

If 10 anglers keep a 100 pound fish that's 1000 pounds off the TAC
If 10 anglers keep a 60 pound fish that's 600 pounds off the TAC - 400 pound difference
So if we keep the pounds down then 5 more anglers (increased effort) can harvest 60 pounds each without hammering the TAC. In fact using this simple equation we would be under by 300 pounds.

This sets up the sport sector for even smaller size slot in the future, followed by decreasing season length and limits.

How many thousands of pounds are in the grocery store freezers from 2012...or 2011 commercial catch? I can pretty much bet its not zero. Does anyone even count this number for any sort of consideration, meaning excess supply? Whether is is your own freezer or the supermarket freezer, nobody should have loads of extra frozen fish with season opening upon us. IMO, it's just irresponsible and wasteful to take more than needed in a year.

I can live with the 6 fish limit. I don't like the size limit, only because if you are close to the slot limit, it will be a real pain to measure accurately and safely.

So you're happy with this outcome? If so, I feel sorry for you having to justify your actions. Give your head a shake.

This is a huge LOSS to the sport fishing community. If you consider this a WIN I would love to understand your reasons.

Usually in a negotiation (which this is) you have some "gives" and some reserved, last resort, on the table concessions. It appears that the SFAB let the cat fully out of the bag right away and DFO grabbed it and ran (as they should), laughing all the way to Ottawa. Big money (read Jimmy and Co.) is happy so they can do no wrong.
I doubt anyone is happy with these regs but we still get to fish and all Canadians that don't live where the halibut are have a legitimate shot at accessing the resource

Because somebody wanted to extend the season and this was the way they determined it feasible.

What doesn't make sense is why somebody wants to fish Halibut in OCT-DEC off the WCVI.
It will be nice to catch a halibut in sept for myself

It will be nice to catch a halibut in sept for myself

Agreed - I don't need to fish (and I expect many are with me) in OCT - DEC as I stated above.

That's 3 months of a 9 month season i.e. 1/3. In other words, the effective TAC was decreased by 1/3 to accomodate the season extension consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back