Halibut near Vancouver?

Jim pattisons freezers
:rolleyes:
pm sent

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw gee-- and I was hoping someone would spill their guts and give away some family secrets LOL!!!!

Leave them alone...and if you do choose to target them, swear yourself and all on board to secrecy and keep a real low profile.

First take a trip with Roy from Blue Wolf Charters and learn how to anchor safely for Halibut.

Before you head back to Vancouver stop in @ Trotac and drop a couple hundred for ground tackle.

Then study the tide/current charts so that you know when it'll be safe enough to peg yourself down to The Hump off south Bowen Island.

And if the wind cooperates you'll have (a snowball in hell's) chance of bringing home a Hali on the Inside.

Be sure to post back a report w/pics we need the encouragement.

Lol what length of rode would you need for 450'? Wolf uses 600 in 250 so like 1000'????

There is no 300' on the hump. 456' at the nipple...

My folks have a view of Tunstal bay. I have watched a boat anchored out there repeatedly. With the catch rate coming out of Nanaiamo and Campbell river someone would have a hard time convincing me there are no hali to be caught in the Vancouver howe sound area.

Richard

My folks have a view of Tunstal bay. I have watched a boat anchored out there repeatedly. With the catch rate coming out of Nanaiamo and Campbell river someone would have a hard time convincing me there are no hali to be caught in the Vancouver howe sound area.

Richard

You sure that boat didn't have about 8 or 10 people fishing off it and pulling up rockfish? I have seen a couple around Bowen on a number of occasions.:mad:

there where 3 nice ones caught this winter by guys fishing off the robert's bank coal port so while very scarce, there is the odd one out there off of vancouver

Well you never know 'til you try..........they thought there were no GIANT squid around either.....until that lady marine biologist got a video of one off Japan a few months back......

I thought back in the early "Charlie White" days they were getting huge hali's off Darcy Island area out near Sidney......

Most of the waters around Darcy are closed now. we were fishing close to there the other day and kept getting buzzed by the dfo plane there was a commercial boat sport fishing in the no fish zone must have got buzzed 5 times turns out it was by buddy talked to him a week later said he got a phone call then dfo guy came to his house and gave him a $250 ticket. Probley cost them 5k in gas to fly that thing around that dayImageUploadedByTapatalk1367981228.603705.jpg

If I caught a hali near Vancouver I'd probably let it go and keep my mouth shut. Last thing a recovering stock in this area needs is a fleet of guys targetting them. Reminds me of a local guide here that caught a 15 lber in the harbor and put the story in the paper. Short-term thinking.

If I caught a hali near Vancouver I'd probably let it go and keep my mouth shut. Last thing a recovering stock in this area needs is a fleet of guys targetting them. Reminds me of a local guide here that caught a 15 lber in the harbor and put the story in the paper. Short-term thinking.
If I caught one I'd bonk/eat it and put pics up everywhere.

Back