Halibut near Vancouver?

ditto...dogbreath... got me a spot or two im gonna try again...not exactly vancouver but doable easily from van...back in the late 70's a neighbor we fished with banged a few locally...think how we fished then though...where I moor my boat the old boy and a couple of his old commercial pals were talking about the same sort of thing the other day...I wonder about the coal port though...all mud and no structure but hey yah never know....

Yuck....may as well get some spam at Buy-Low.

Ditto Pippen, that looks pretty gross there Dogbreath.. I know Predator has gotten them before over off Thrasher, but that isn't exactly 'vancouver'. If I wanted to get one locally I would go drift jig along the far side of Gambier Island, in some potentially-notoriously good halibut spots such as 'Elkins Point' and 'Brigade Bay'... structure further up the sound around Anvil Island's northern tip as well as the Defence Islands and the famed 'Christie Islet Bird Sanctuary' are also worth an effort. Please keep in mind that all lingcod & rockfish must be released in area 28.

Halibut bank near vancouver must have produced halibut at one time, no ?

From what I understand or was told is it was fished out during the war to feed the troops

Ditto Pippen, that looks pretty gross there Dogbreath.. I know Predator has gotten them before over off Thrasher, but that isn't exactly 'vancouver'. If I wanted to get one locally I would go drift jig along the far side of Gambier Island, in some potentially-notoriously good halibut spots such as 'Elkins Point' and 'Brigade Bay'... structure further up the sound around Anvil Island's northern tip as well as the Defence Islands and the famed 'Christie Islet Bird Sanctuary' are also worth an effort. Please keep in mind that all lingcod & rockfish must be released in area 28.

Sorry hate for this to be done to you again but not only is lingcod and Rockfish closed in 28 but you wouldn't want to go to your last location locally ( Christie Islet) and drift jig as you say because its closed for fishing out to approx 600ft contour - another RCA.

92_Pam%20Rock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I caught a hali near Vancouver I'd probably let it go and keep my mouth shut. Last thing a recovering stock in this area needs is a fleet of guys targetting them. Reminds me of a local guide here that caught a 15 lber in the harbor and put the story in the paper. Short-term thinking.

LOL don't worry about anouncing you have caught a hali off the cap as you won't have swarms of boats targeting Hali off Ambleside because of it. Every year there are so many lines dragging that area anyway. That Hali was caught all while 25-75 boats per day were hitting the area dragging bottom daily. Thats what was so amazing it was caught -the porr thing swam into " a maze" of lines !!! I'd kill a hali there just to put the poor thing out of misery!

Yeah I would never even bottom fish in Vancouver, only if I was across the strait, that post was all garbage while looking over a map of Howe Sound for location names.. I just find this thread very entertaining haha.. I'll delete it though in case some lurkers might take this stuff seriously, tried to imply sarcasm by describing Brigade Bay as a notoriously good halibut hole

And I may have mentioned in this thread or another it before but I know a fellow who took a 50 lb hali in Vancouver waters very recently ( also a few small ones and I am not including acrosss the straight) but because most of the Vancouver area is generally well fished and not many taken, there likely is only the odd one around. Who knows though Its sounds like there is a increase in the numbers being caught nearer to Vancouver.

And I may have mentioned in this thread or another it before but I know a fellow who took a 50 lb hali in Vancouver waters very recently ( also a few small ones and I am not including acrosss the straight) but because most of the Vancouver area is generally well fished and not many taken, there likely is only the odd one around. Who knows though Its sounds like there is a increase in the numbers being caught nearer to Vancouver.

yeah tough when your only getting out once every few weeks to not just go try for salmon, and instead dedicate your day on the water to targeting butts.. would be interested to know how someone would do if they actually geared up, picked a good tide, and worked some good bait in fishy looking spots(legal ones of course)

Back