Halibut harpoon placement

index.php
you have enough info on placement pic fin is the kill spot, as for guts yes they can be on the other side. although i have gone thru many halibut only have caught one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
From your link.....

Inserted into my browser, went to the pic, copied image url, then added to the insert pic button.... (the one with the tree), it copies all the links if you don't go directly to the picture then the pic wont work

there will be no Harpooning of Jimmy Pattisons fish/pets please move on to other more plentiful targets

if you go to winter harbour where 100lbers come in on the daily - NOBODY shoots the guts or uses little scotsmens. Hit right through the shoulder on the opposite side of the guts and you will never, ever, eeeeever lose one. There is no more wasted meat then if you put a gaff through a chicken.

The fact that you need a shock absorber to hit the guts means its a bad spot to aim for - IMO.

Different strokes and all that though...

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Exactly how I do it...through the shoulder just behind the fin...tied off a 140lbser to boat without scotsman as didn't have one on board and didnt even come close to pulling through.

Wanted to bring this up as I have never used a harpoon before and am kinda freaked out about the idea of sticking the hali, only to have it take off and rip out the harpoon head, or to miss the spot and have it bolt. Has anyone ever tried the alcohol trick? Here's what I found on
"Another method that was submitted by a reader, that instead of using a gun, squirt some whiskey, vodka, or other alcohol into their gills. 10 seconds later, they are dead. Well at least they died happy."

HHHMMM rather have the booze for the celebration afterwards ....LOL

Like This? LOL What a couple of Newbs!:D My Wife and daughter who was just 2 at the time loved the performance.:p There is a bit of a revenge story behind that miss!

[xJ07K-LMOCg] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ07K-LMOCg

Yep that's what I don't want to do! At least the hook is holding and they didn't loose em. Guy wasn't pissed at all.
So did he hit the spine?

No, he definitely buried it all the way, Looks like he pulled the rope back along with the handle, keeping the point on the handle, not giving the toggle a chance to swivel crossways. Sawtooth edge point would help.

Nope-- not even close. Its a Goeson harpoon. Custom made with much heavier stainless shaft, and a much heavier hardwood handle. The head is better tapered than the Peetz and needle sharp and is flared at the back end so that it cant come out. I have driven it with one hand right through the gills of a 100 lber. The fabricator had to use two hands , however, to drive the poon right through my 250lb in this picture, but he had no problem doing so.
I have one of Wayne's famous harpoons as well. Works flawlessly every time..... well I've only been lucky enough to use it a few times, but never had a problem.

Back