Halibut fishing from a kayak around Victoria / South Island

Catching a halibut from a kayak would be no problem at all. Actual fishing kayaks are self bailing. They can fall off a truck at 80kph and still float. Flip it in the water 10 times and never sink. Just need a harpoon. Its becoming commonly done now.
Alright then, let's make it happen, Huy! I picked up a few pieces of gear this year with the idea that I'll give 'er a go at some point. Still need a few more things, including a harpoon, but 2022 might be the year. Totally doable as long as the safety precautions are adhered to (don't go alone, practice tipping and reentering kayak in open water, knife always within arms reach - plus the other standard kayak safety stuff we do every time out).

No reason it can't be done with a buddy boat near by. I once saw 2 guys in float tubes fishing Secretary Island off Sooke With a buddy boat near by.

Alright then, let's make it happen, Huy! I picked up a few pieces of gear this year with the idea that I'll give 'er a go at some point. Still need a few more things, including a harpoon, but 2022 might be the year. Totally doable as long as the safety precautions are adhered to (don't go alone, practice tipping and reentering kayak in open water, knife always within arms reach - plus the other standard kayak safety stuff we do every time out).
hopefully soon I'm stuck in Edmonton right now

lol
over 50 years of fishing teaches you a lot. First and for most is don't ever under estimate the power of mother nature!
Fishing halibut in the waters of Southern Vancouver Island is high risk if you are serious about it and want to fish them where you have a decent chance of catching one.
Lol. 50 years experience. That puts you at over seventy. Just say you wish you were younger and would have loved to try. I do it in Campbell river with way faster current eight km off shore. Pedal drives are amazing.

Lol. 50 years experience. That puts you at over seventy. Just say you wish you were younger and would have loved to try. I do it in Campbell river with way faster current eight km off shore. Pedal drives are amazing.
"I do it in Campbell river"
Wow...I am never too old to learn something new. A good friend was head guide at Painters Lodge during it's hay day and I did a lot of fishing in that area.
Where do you fish Halibut in Campbell River and perhaps you can send us a photo of your halibut caught from your kayak even though this thread is

Halibut fishing from a kayak around Victoria / South Island​

If it’s on your to do list, you have the experience and equipment then go for it. But do it safely like the guy in video above. He had friends in big boats near by that were not on anchor, close and involved.
It’s unlikely you will catch one as easily around here as the guy in video. It’s not that easy here.

Looks like fun.

Wow...I am never too old to learn something new. A good friend was head guide at Painters Lodge during it's hay day and I did a lot of fishing in that area.
Where do you fish Halibut in Campbell River and perhaps you can send us a photo of your halibut caught from your kayak even though this thread is

Right at the hump

Don’t usually take pics but shows being out at the hump. Campbell river area go to for halibut.

Guides at painters suck. They follow their only real fisherman. Russ Lim.

The guy in the first Alaska video, in my opinion, is absolutely nuts for holding the still-alive halibut on over his lap and legs. Somehow he lucked out with a docile one. A normal one that size could break his legs. Check out how hard it is to do this ina controlled manner even with a harpoon attached to a scotchman for the guys in this video. Granted that theirs is a huge one but then again, you don't pick what you hook. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing it in a kayak as I have a hard time seeing how it's safe.

The guy in the first Alaska video, in my opinion, is absolutely nuts for holding the still-alive halibut on over his lap and legs. Somehow he lucked out with a docile one. A normal one that size could break his legs. Check out how hard it is to do this ina controlled manner even with a harpoon attached to a scotchman for the guys in this video. Granted that theirs is a huge one but then again, you don't pick what you hook. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing it in a kayak as I have a hard time seeing how it's safe.

Yeeeeeeeessssh. I'd cut the line if I saw that thing coming up from the deep.

Back