Halibut fishermen divided on how to divvy up the fish

the 100k has been added to the huge amount of misinformation the coalition is using to try and pusuade the public to write letters. DFO estimates that 10% of the effort is directed at haliubt. That would be closer to 40k

Nope, DFO actually estimates that close to 30% of tidal licences sold will target on halibut somethime through-out the season. Given over 290K such licenses were sold last year, 30% of that is damn close to 100,000. Actually, from a guide's point of view, I note that about half or a little more of my clients come specifically to target halibut and I suspect many other operations are much the same. Easily makes up the difference between the 87,600 (DFO's 30%) and the 100,000 figure.

As to why we are not hearing from each and every one of them - well... unfortunately APATHY amongst our sector still exists. As was touched on above, a great many are content to whine, and yet do nothing beyond that to make their presence known. Sad but true reality. That, and a great many of those who employ guiding services are simply not located on the Island where this issue has received the widest attention. Most on the mainland and other provinces (let alone offshore) are simply blissfully unaware that a problem exists. Might be a good idea for all of us guides to contact our client lists and encourage them to let their feelings be known!! ;)

I do believe Canada is/has actually been leaving “sport” quota!

As do I Charlie, as do I. The current system of "guesstimation" is completely flawed IMHO. Yes, it is leaps and bounds beyond what was available in the 90's, but it is nowhere near the accuracy required for reliable accounting. However DFO continues to insist that it is "Fine" and continuously denies any efforts or recommendations for improvement. Can you say "Agenda"?

Also fitting into that Agenda is the fact that the recreational sector is "Managed" by DFO's Groundfish Management Section, which they insist is First-Class. Were this to be real, we would have not been allowed to run over our numbers, and the season would have been shut down even sooner were their fantasy guesses to be believed.

The problem lies firmly at the feet of DFO. Forget about the fighting with the Commercial Sector, they too have been lead down this path completely and solely by DFO, none other. OUR battle is with "management" or the lack thereof as the case may be. We have tried for a considerable period to deal with them on this and many issues politely via the SFAB, Round Tables and the like. This has been rather close to a dismal failure. So, now we are simply forced into a situation to take the matter up politically. Personally I detest going that route, but we have been well backed into that corner.

So Folks, time for each and every one of us to continuously POUND those letters in to the Minister, the PM, MLA's and get the message out to the General Public whenever we can. That doesn't mean just one single letter will suffice. Yes, that is indeed a good first start. But we must follow up on that, individually, weekly or even more often with a continuous flow of letters to these folks. If we propose to be the "Squeaky Wheel", it is time to take the bearings out! GET THOSE LETTERS IN THERE, AND GET THEM IN OFTEN!

Cheers,
Nog

Check out the IPHC website for more numbers. The Pacific coast exploitable halibut biomass is 317 million pounds
of which 40.89 million pounds is within B.C. (Area 2B). The 2010 catch limit (TAC) was 50.67 million pounds of
which 7.5 million pounds was the B.C. TAC. The sport catch in 2010 was 1.092 million pounds for B.C. The 2011
catch limit recommendations have been reduced to between 41.02 and 46.67 million pounds. The Area 2B (B.C.)
proposed catch limit will be slightly higher than in 2010.
More at http://www.iphc.washington.edu/documents/2010IM_presentations/im2010catlimv7.pdf

The IPHC annual meeting where the TAC is set will be taking place next week in Victoria at the Delta Ocean
Pointe Resort from Monday January 24 to Friday January 28. Public sessions take place Tuesday between
9:00 and 1:00 and again on Friday between 9:00 and 11:00. Suspect there may be a B.C. Sport Fishing
Coalition presence there.

Check out the IPHC website for more numbers. The Pacific coast exploitable halibut biomass is 317 million pounds
of which 40.89 million pounds is within B.C. (Area 2B). The 2010 catch limit (TAC) was 50.67 million pounds of
which 7.5 million pounds was the B.C. TAC. The sport catch in 2010 was 1.092 million pounds for B.C. The 2011
catch limit recommendations have been reduced to between 41.02 and 46.67 million pounds. The Area 2B (B.C.)
proposed catch limit will be slightly higher than in 2010.
More at http://www.iphc.washington.edu/documents/2010IM_presentations/im2010catlimv7.pdf

The IPHC annual meeting where the TAC is set will be taking place next week in Victoria at the Delta Ocean
Pointe Resort from Monday January 24 to Friday January 28. Public sessions take place Tuesday between
9:00 and 1:00 and again on Friday between 9:00 and 11:00. Suspect there may be a B.C. Sport Fishing
Coalition presence there.

As a business owner it is hard to make time however I may try to organize myself enough to get over there for one of the public sessions. I have never really gotten that involved with my fishery (sportsfishing) before except my dual membership with BCWF and a few donations here and there. I really liked the town hall meeting in Nanaimo and think they are informative and a good way to get messages across. I am going to try to become more involved as this seems like the only way to strengthen our voice as a major sector to the BC economy and the conservation of this great resource. I think every sportsfisherman needs to take some extra steps and get involved with this causes first hand. Either through your local fish and game club, BCWF, or volunteering at your local hatchery.

Thanks for the post Silver Streak.

As a business owner it is hard to make time however I may try to organize myself enough to get over there for one of the public sessions. I have never really gotten that involved with my fishery (sportsfishing) before except my dual membership with BCWF and a few donations here and there. I really liked the town hall meeting in Nanaimo and think they are informative and a good way to get messages across. I am going to try to become more involved as this seems like the only way to strengthen our voice as a major sector to the BC economy and the conservation of this great resource. I think every sportsfisherman needs to take some extra steps and get involved with this causes first hand. Either through your local fish and game club, BCWF, or volunteering at your local hatchery.

Thanks for the post Silver Streak.

Don't forget SFI

12lb Halibut seems mighty small Charlie, although that seems to be about right
for Swiftsure bank.
i would say the average down the south end of Vanc island would be closer to 30lbs.

Not my numbers and there was n “IF” there, but as stated not probably to far off for ALL of BC? We all just can't catch those big halibut, like you! J

However, as stated that doesn't appear that far off? It seems DFO has forgotten to update their 2009 information and the 2010 is not yet published, but the 2008 is there and listed. Piece the information together it should be approximately that 12 pound figure. Remember, the halibut biomass is declining, and that is a weight number, not population. The halibut biomass is smaller, as the larger 1987 and 1988 fish have passed through the system, so you have just as many (if not more) fish – their average size is just smaller. Based on that, the 2009 and 2010 average size should both be lower than 2008?

In 2008 there was an estimated 116,444 sport halibut pieces caught throughout BC. The total estimated harvest reported was 1,540,000, equaling approximately 13.22 each! BTW… the most abundant halibut in Area 2B is 10, 11, and 12 year old fish, which will also place them around that 12 pound range! J

Back