Halibut Closure Angers Sport Fishermen From: ANewsVanIsland | Aug 24, 2011

MILLERTIME

Good on 'A' News. You won't see these stories on CHEK since Jimmy P bought it.

[yLLWmvntk2c] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLLWmvntk2c&feature=player_profilepage

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure is nice to see Ms. DFO Tamee Karim in person after hearing so much about her from other members. WTF!

Attachments

• pCapture.JPG
    pCapture.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 28
YEP we got shafted again !!!!!! wonder whos intrest they are looking out for guy!!!! not the avg joe fisherman thats for sure....
When i sat and had a meeting with some DFO DODO in private last year I ask very specificly that they were deeming me as a "commercial" fisherman and he siad LOUDLY "YES" i was and i was like really ok so and im going to LEASE quota from a commercial guy right so its still commercial quota......YEP !!!!!!!!!! I said right on ill take 2000 lbs he was like WOW realy said sure why not ill advertise my rates half price and tell them they get half of the fish and I get the other as then I can turn around and sell for any price I want then being "commercial".... OH WAIT he says you cant do that!!!!!!!
WHY not i asked you just said i was commercial getting commercial quota whats the big deal ,,,,, ummmmmm we are going to have to look into this more ..

AND NO i did not even consider getting it I wanted to stir the shiat pot and did.....

Wolf

Thanks for your quota part, High Five: TAC = 1,000,000# / 35,000,000 Canadians = 0.029 pounds! That's your portion, High Five! Thanks for that!
Even if you take only the 100,000 saltwater anglers: 1,000,000# / 100,000 = 10 pounds. Thank you very much for this generous halibut fillet!

Well, I for one caught 0 (zero, nada, zilch) pounds of halibut this year on my rec license so I guess my 'quota' reverts back to the commercial sector. This system really is ****** up.

I know there was lot's of forum member's writing letters to MP'S, minister's and newspaper's over the Halibut issue, myself included.
Did it do any good, not really...
I'm not saying to give up the effort, but until we get someone in control that's a westcoast fisherman and really cares about our fishery, good luck.

Our agenda just doesn't matter much to the average politician.

Sad, but true. :(

I know there was lot's of forum member's writing letters to MP'S, minister's and newspaper's over the Halibut issue, myself included.
Did it do any good, not really...
I'm not saying to give up the effort, but until we get someone in control that's a westcoast fisherman and really cares about our fishery, good luck.

Our agenda just doesn't matter much to the average politician.

Sad, but true. :(
I am thinking phone calls to DFO seem to get more attention, and getting towns/ communities on board..
It seems letters never get read..into the delete pile or recycle container.. I in future will phone MPs, dfo people whatever it takes.

Phone calls by the mayor of the town and people helped to secure our ability now to catch a few springs in the canal.
They backed down to the pressure and will not be commie fishing springs until after the long weekend.
In my last conversation with DFO regarding alberni fish.. they said they 'maybe made a mistake' by unleashing the bag fleet on the second day of the long weekend in july...
YA THINK????

Perhaps some visits to DFO and MP's offices along with phone calls might be our next step.
Will start with Duncan and see what happens.
GLG

Thanks Islandgirl for your effort it sure makes a difference.
Been to China Creek twice with great success.
Will have to get out one more time before the Commercials are sent in to clean out the fish.

Trust me writing those letters helped it log jammed them up to the point when I did call once they asked me in a polite way to stop, and I said NO LOL because your letter is a binding document they have to file it and revue it. so keep writing ask questions to make them think you wont get any answers back but it iritates them all the better.

Wolf

Back