Halibut braid lbs?

I went down from 80 to 65 this year and have been very happy. No break offs from fish, and in the case of snagging bottom the 80lb mono leader still always breaks first.

Anyone fishing with 60lb braid to reduce drag and fish in more current. It’s been a couple years since I’ve had a 60lber in Victoria, so I’m thinking…..?
I have been using 65 lb. braid for many years now on my side rods (I use the thinner and smoother brands as well - Spiderwire Stealth, Powerpro Superslick), absolutely necessary for me in fishing the areas I do when the current is pushing. No broken mainline on fish, landed and safely released at least 7 over a 100 lb. in the last several years (2 last year). I still have a rod I use to fish a back rod with 80 lb. braid (huge difference). I will switch this to 65 when the 80 needs replacing.
I use either 100, 150, or 300 lb. leaders depending on what I am fishing when on anchor on my side rods. Out back on light setups and jigs I use 60 lb. I also use 60 lb. if I am drifting for lings so that I can break the leader instead of my mainline.
...Rob

I have been using 65 lb. braid for many years now on my side rods (I use the thinner and smoother brands as well - Spiderwire Stealth, Powerpro Superslick), absolutely necessary for me in fishing the areas I do when the current is pushing. No broken mainline on fish, landed and safely released at least 7 over a 100 lb. in the last several years (2 last year). I still have a rod I use to fish a back rod with 80 lb. braid (huge difference). I will switch this to 65 when the 80 needs replacing.
I use either 100, 150, or 300 lb. leaders depending on what I am fishing when on anchor on my side rods. Out back on light setups and jigs I use 60 lb. I also use 60 lb. if I am drifting for lings so that I can break the leader instead of my mainline.
...Rob
Thanks everyone! Only rod that hit was our 65lb braid last Sunday. What length of leader do you usually run Rob?

Thanks everyone! Only rod that hit was our 65lb braid last Sunday. What length of leader do you usually run Rob?
I use 2 to 3 feet depending on which spreader bars I use. Some of my spreaders are custom made with a built in spinner (spoon) on a 10 inch piece of 150 lb. mono. I use the shorter leader on these.
... Rob

Back