Halibut anchoring with windlass anchor

Travo

Had a windlass anchor installed on my boat over the winter for Hali fishing , after reading all the write ups on scotsmans and trigger realease clips and such I'm starting to think this was the wrong anchor system to have for bottom fishing ... I have read to many horror story's about anchoring disasters and just want to make sure I'm safe as can be , is there a safe method of anchoring with a windlass ... Currently I have 50feet chain and 200feet rope ..... My rope is the wrong size so I'm going to be replacing it any way prob with 400 feet ..

I always tie off to a cleat when anchoring, also use the Scotsman method to pull up my anchor, then use the windlass to pull in the rope. Also have 400’ of rope and 30’ of chain, that is quite a bit to pull in with the electric motor…sometimes it runs the batteries low so I just crank it in by hand. I installed a quick link in the connection so there is about 6’ of line still in the windlass, “careful with this…make sure the link will go through the windlass” then you can install your quick release. Have winched all of it up in shallow water, works fine. Don’t try and pull up not tied off to a cleat though, it is very hard on the windlass.

Back