Halibut anchor rope

Sea Ranger

I am thinking about buying some anchor rope for hali fishing. I phoned around and I believe my choices are either to use 3/8 poly rope or 5/16 double braided nylon. The poly rope is only .13 cents per foot where the double braid nylon is .40 cents per foot. I was going to buy 400 feet of rope. Is poly rope any good to use or should I just go buy the nylon rope? Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

I was talking to Trotac about rope already and it was their suggestion to use one of those two ropes. It looks like its going to come down to a matter of affordability at least for the short term. Think I'll wait till after Christmas.

fish.gif

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

The Poly is ****, hard and knots don't hold well need to be seized.
Kinda of have to agree with that one, it has broken on me way too many times... I wouldn't trust my life with 3/8 poly, check the tensile strength? I would also be carrying a sharp knife on my belt!

Tensile strength of 3/8 poly rope is 2440 lbs.
Tensile strength of 5/16 3 braided nylon is 2300 lbs.
Thanks for all your help and advice, I would like to buy the nylon but I think I will try the poly rope and give it a try anyways..... maybe buy the nylon next year.... thanks Steve.

fish.gif

Safety means a lot to me..... Shoot..... what to do..... Will go look at the rope... and decide then... I dont like the idea of knots and not winding up right Steve.

fish.gif

I would go with the double braided nylon it's worth the extra money last's a long time. doesn't float, better shock absorbsion. I think it would be the better choice.

Anchoring is somewhat risky at times. There are somany things that can go wrong, the last thing you want to deal with is a rope that tangles easily such as poly.

Got 600ft 1/2in poly and it's been ok for the past 2-3yrs, no tangles and no breaks yet. Spool of 600ft comes pretty cheap at Western supplies on Government.
I inspect the end it ties into the chain everytime I drop the pick.

JUST FISHEN'

You might wan't to look into some used comercial prawn rope. It's strong, does't tangle and go's for about $50 for 1000ft.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

quote:Originally posted by Gone Fishen

You might wan't to look into some used comercial prawn rope. It's strong, does't tangle and go's for about $50 for 1000ft.
Thats not a bad idea, I think prawn rope is 5/16 thick and my only concern would be if the anchor puller would work with such a thin rope.
I was down at Trotac yesterday and 400 feet of double braided nylon rope was $216.00 + tax.

fish.gif

I use the 5/16 prawn rope, it works just fine and it's way easier to pull off the surface than the 3/8. I've been using it for 4 years now and it still looks to be in good shape. And yes the anchor pullers work just fine with it.

Just scored an unused roll (supposedly with 1700/ft still on it) of commy crab-line (Maritime Cordage 11/32" Crab line - 3000/lb tensile). I've been watching it on Used Victoria for nearly 2-months. I've peeled off a 500/ft hunk for my hali-pick and a couple of 300/ft hunks for prawn traps. At about .09/ft it's a real good deal. Only issue is it's a little stiffer than the soft stuff but I think I can live with it at that price.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Just scored an unused roll (supposedly with 1700/ft still on it) of commy crab-line (Maritime Cordage 11/32" Crab line - 3000/lb tensile). I've been watching it on Used Victoria for nearly 2-months. I've peeled off a 500/ft hunk for my hali-pick and a couple of 300/ft hunks for prawn traps. At about .09/ft it's a real good deal. Only issue is it's a little stiffer than the soft stuff but I think I can live with it at that price.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

All these are good ideas, thanks. It looks like the hali season is over soon so at this point I'm in no hurry to run out and buy some. I did make it out to sooke on Sunday and anchored up for a bit of hali fishing but we never got anything. I do have the set up with the anchor puller and the ball but the rope that came with my anchor is only 150 feet long, maybe thats one reason why we never caught anything. So, thanks again for the tips and....... Little Hawk, Let me know if you are willing to sell 400 feet of rope, thanks..... Steve

fish.gif

All these are good ideas, thanks. It looks like the hali season is over soon so at this point I'm in no hurry to run out and buy some. I did make it out to sooke on Sunday and anchored up for a bit of hali fishing but we never got anything. I do have the set up with the anchor puller and the ball but the rope that came with my anchor is only 150 feet long, maybe thats one reason why we never caught anything. So, thanks again for the tips and....... Little Hawk, Let me know if you are willing to sell 400 feet of rope, thanks..... Steve

fish.gif

Back