Halibut Allocation Policy: So wrong

Sushihunter

http://www.canada.com/Halibut+Allocation+Policy+wrong/4021627/story.html

Halibut Allocation Policy: So wrong

Courier-Islander December 24, 2010

My family and I own and operate a small fishing lodge in the small West Coast village of Zeballos which we operate from mid June through to the middle of October. Under the current 88/12 halibut allocation with the decreased daily limits of halibut and an unpredictable halibut fishing season (subject to closures on short notice) for the recreational sport fishery we have seen our shoulder season business in the months of May, June and September become almost non-existent over the past few years. This is not only having a negative financial impact on us personally but also on the people who we employ, and could employ.

And similar to all coastal communities like Zeballos, tourism dollars that are brought in and the jobs that are created by the recreational sport fishing industry are very important to the local economies. And with what appears to be a shortened Halibut fishing season in 2011 we can expect devastating economic results for all of us.

Not only are people like myself and thousands of other people who rely on the recreational sport fishery as a way to make a living feeling the negative impacts of this unfair policy, but the people of Canada are being denied access to something that belongs to them.

Something that we need to make clear to the governing people (who we elected) in Ottawa and the people who have the power to reverse this unfair policy is, that this is not 18th century Europe where the resources such as fish and game were deemed property of only the ruling monarchy and his or her relatives and drinking buddies; this is 21st century Canada where politicians are voted in to represent the people and where the resources belong to the people, not the (436) privileged few.

Halibut, as all fish in all Canadian waters, are a common property resource and should be managed as such and we want this resource back! (Are prawns next?) Cheers and tight lines.

Steve Shelly,
Island Tides Fishing lodge,
Zeballos, B.C.

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Back