Halibut Allocation Hearing - Recreational Sector's Memorandum and Fact of Law

Trouble is that the judge apparently does not fully accept the statement as he has not dismissed the application with costs to us (sec. 36). But I have been told that it might take 2-3 months before he hear his full decision. Fingers crossed............

Wow.... Must read stuff right there.
Sure put's that buying or renting quota on hold....
GLG

I am not able to attend meetings or demonstrations but I am sure there would be other ways that I could back this. I am watching this closely, except when I am out hunting.

Everyone,

We entered the court case to get a public record of our recreational community point of view, and succeeded very, very well. All of our submissions are now a matter of court record, and this is important. We also took on the obligation of finding funds to support the action hoping that we could find support from the angling community...now it is your turn to help us out! Every donation is worth more than the money ( which we need) because it also shows the public support for recreational access to our fish. The numbers mean as much as the money, for sure.

Traveller

Everyone,

We entered the court case to get a public record of our recreational community point of view, and succeeded very, very well. All of our submissions are now a matter of court record, and this is important. We also took on the obligation of finding funds to support the action hoping that we could find support from the angling community...now it is your turn to help us out! Every donation is worth more than the money ( which we need) because it also shows the public support for recreational access to our fish. The numbers mean as much as the money, for sure.

Traveller

Absolutely, both the SFI and BCWF funded the case, which as you can imagine was very expensive and will continue to require funding. The minimum cost of entering the proceedings in this manner is $100,000 for starters. Anyone who thinks litigation is cheap is fooling themselves. So, lets dig into our wallets and join these organizations and help direct funds towards this effort.

$ 10 - $ 20 a license ( stamp )
x 100,000 sold or so , is hmmm ....1 mill - 2 mill $$$$ , a season ????

Give a good chunk of it for setting it up to the DFO in year 1 ,
the rest to lawyers and the support team in the future !!
that could support a pretty good scrap !!!

im a simple man , and TOO optimistic perhaps lol...

off for a Seahawks and Cabellas Wknd

later fellas

fd

I read it all and it's a very well written argument. I especially liked the "Instead of cutting bait, quota holders now cut coupons." comment. Pretty much sums it up for me.

I'd really like to read the commercial sectors submission just to see what angle they are playing. Anyone have a link to that side of the story?

I'm surprised the fishing commercial fisherman have gone along with this quota leasing system for so long. What's in it for them? Does Jim p threaten speak up against my system and I'll ensure you get no quota?

[II'm surprised the fishing commercial fisherman have gone along with this quota leasing system for so long. What's in it for them? ][/I]

The PHMA ARE the small number of guys that control the quota-- Imagine if you were a new commercial fishermen that wanted to break into the industry...Start making noise and imagine how much cooperation you would have trying to lease or buy quota..... or if you just wanted to crew on a boat....... The few that have the quota have a closed shop... that's why none of the others will challenge them.

leaseing a bit of halibut quota gives you a bit of yelloweye quota with it also is an opportunity to fish some other rockfish and also perhaps some ling cod; this makes it some what viable

Wow interesting thread. It truly shows how little some of you know about the commercial industry and the people involved.
1) The case was started by Graham Malcolm, a 30ish year old 3rd generation commercial fisherman. Like many of the younger participants in the fishery he played by the rules set up by dfo and invested ½ million dollars in a government designed plan. That’s right no free gift.
2) All the information and submissions are available as the case has been filed in the courts.
3) Jimmy P owns and controls very little quota. The two biggest buyers on the coast are S&M Products and Aero, both independent companies buying the majority of the commercial catch.
4) Other than the 17% owned by DFO for first nations the troll fleet holds the majority of the quota.
5) Itq is the best management tool in the box for the commercial industry. The majority of commercial fisheries on the west coast are run this way(herring, salmon, all groundfish). It is a system being adopted all around the world.
6) The commercial sector needs a way to move fish from sector to sector as a way to keep all groups within their respected TAC’s.
7) Saying PHMA controls quota is laughable. Again absolutely no clue as to what these organizations do.

[I Saying PHMA controls quota is laughable. Again absolutely no clue as to what these organizations do.][/I]

No... the PHMA is the organization that lobbies for their sector. They are the ones defending the unfair allocation . What they say goes..... That is "control" to me.

[I It is a system being adopted all around the world.][/I] Right-- and its being opposed by sportfishers all over the globe as well.

What you cant seem to wrap around your head, is that recreational fishermen will NEVER accept government giving away to a few chosen few , that which belongs to all citizens.
This fight is not over by a long shot.

[I Saying PHMA controls quota is laughable. Again absolutely no clue as to what these organizations do.][/I]

No... the PHMA is the organization that lobbies for their sector. They are the ones defending the unfair allocation . What they say goes..... That is "control" to me.

[I It is a system being adopted all around the world.][/I] Right-- and its being opposed by sportfishers all over the globe as well.

What you cant seem to wrap around your head, is that recreational fishermen will NEVER accept government giving away to a few chosen few , that which belongs to all citizens.
This fight is not over by a long shot.
Like our logs, oil, and every other natural resource in the country.

No exporting of oil, logs or grain till every canadian has a roof over there head, a full belly and enough oil and gas for their needs

Last edited by a moderator:
So, fish4all, are you ok with non fishers who have no intention of fishing owning quota,orshould it be returned to the government if not used by the owner for say 5 years ? Care to share what percentage of the commercial quota is held by people who don't actually fish (you're right,we knowl little about the quota dealings so educate us)?How about selling their quota for a profit to those who do fish,you ok with this or should it be capped at what it was purchased from the government for? As it stands, as an insider, what kind of profit are people realizing selling their quota?

Back