Halbut in Victoria Area

S

Stag

Hi,

I am new to fishing in Victoria and I want to get into some Halibut in the next two weeks before I switch to Salmon for the rest of the season. I heard that Albert's Head was good but that doesn't really mean a whole lot to me. Where abouts around Alberts Head should I be going? A Waypoint would help tonnes. I'm looking to drift rather than anchor. If there are any other good spots, feel free to share. I'm not always looking for the big fish. I find that fish between 30 lbs and 60 lbs taste the best! Thanks in advance for some advice. I'll post some pics if I catch my first Hali. I'll be in a 19ft Whaler bobbing around like a Gorby hoping to earn the advanced Gorby title by end of the season.. lol. :)

quote:Originally posted by Stag

Hi,

I am new to fishing in Victoria and I want to get into some Halibut in the next two weeks before I switch to Salmon for the rest of the season. I heard that Albert's Head was good but that doesn't really mean a whole lot to me. Where abouts around Alberts Head should I be going? A Waypoint would help tonnes. I'm looking to drift rather than anchor. If there are any other good spots, feel free to share. I'm not always looking for the big fish. I find that fish between 30 lbs and 60 lbs taste the best! Thanks in advance for some advice. I'll post some pics if I catch my first Hali. I'll be in a 19ft Whaler bobbing around like a Gorby hoping to earn the advanced Gorby title by end of the season.. lol. :)

You probably want to read the large Halibut post in this forum -- loads of hints there. Not many are going to give up their GPS coordinates. You're not going to get much time to fish Halibut this weekend as there are some big tides -- drifting might be a challenge. Back trolling might be easier but getting your lines to the bottom will be difficult.

TenMile
<'((((><

Find gravelly sandy bottom downstream of structure in depths of 150 - 300 ft and you are in the game... Good luck.

Back