Haida Gwaii-2019 Commercial Sports Fishery Full Swing

Do you believe that Haida Gwaii lodges should have their limit numbers curtailed

• Ye

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
Current self guided last minute rates at WCFC:

• June 21 to 24 (Friday to Monday)
    4 days / 3 nights
    Guided
    $3,500
  • June 21 to 24 (Friday to Monday)
    4 days / 3 nights
    Self-Guided
    $3,000
Last minute trips to fill up the resort.
try booking a month out and see what prices are like ??

So the argument is shut down one fishery because we don't like the results of another shutdown fishery?
I thought we were trying to open for retention of at least a marked fishery here on the south coast. Voting to shutdown a fishery up in the north coast would seem counterproductive. It also begs the question as what is the ER on Fraser stock of concern in the Haida Gwaii area. I'm sure there is a pdf on that.

If that's the case why are we closed and other area's open ?

It also is a funnel for Fraser migration optically. Also it is in the SRKW zone. It gets screwed regularity as you know. It was target for the MCC. The list goes on... You just wait till MPA stuff starts filtering out . :(

The northern commercial troll fishery got restricted till August 20 that fishes in the same area.

"While conservation of at risk Fraser Chinook is the primary objective in managing the resource, the Department is also committed to respecting Constitutional and Treaty obligations to provide priority for First Nations harvest opportunities for Food, Social and Ceremonial and Treaty obligations after conservation requirements are met. Conservation measures will constrain First Nations Chinook harvest opportunities while at risk Fraser Chinook or other stocks of concern (e.g. Early Stuart Sockeye) migrate through fishing areas. Prior to July 15th, the Department is permitting very limited Fraser River FSC fishery opportunities to harvest small numbers of Chinook for ceremonial purposes which is consistent with the overall management objective for fishery mortalities near 5% for these stocks. In addition, new restrictions in commercial and recreational fisheries are intended to support increased availability of not at risk Summer 41 Chinook for First Nations fisheries harvest opportunities during August and September. These restrictions include an extended closure of the commercial troll fishery in Northern BC until August 20 which is intended to pass through not at risk Summer 41 (South Thompson) Chinook that typically comprise 20-30% of troll harvests to the Fraser River. The Kamloops Lake commercial demonstration fishery targeting South Thompson (Summer 41) Chinook will also be closed. Recreational salmon fisheries in southern BC will remain at reduced limits of 1 Chinook per day after the Chinook non-retention period ends (i.e. after July 14 or July 31 depending on area) and recreational fisheries in the Fraser River will remain closed until at least August 23."

upload_2019-6-8_11-13-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-8_11-11-41.png
    upload_2019-6-8_11-11-41.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 1
So the argument is shut down one fishery because we don't like the results of another shutdown fishery?
I thought we were trying to open for retention of at least a marked fishery here on the south coast. Voting to shutdown a fishery up in the north coast would seem counterproductive. It also begs the question as what is the ER on Fraser stock of concern in the Haida Gwaii area. I'm sure there is a pdf on that.
So do the Fraser salmon not pass through the areas that have remained open? If not no harm no foul, but if they do then to shut one part of migration totally down and allow business as usual in another part of the route seems somewhat silly and at best temporary. I asked DFO for any info they have on the migration route of Fraser Springs and so far have been ignored.
Frankly I think a lot of people have been duped into a very well orchestrated plan by DFO to divide and conquer. Slam shut one area and try and convince people to remain silent unless it actually impacts them is a clever way of picking areas off one at a time. Close the south, let them get used to it and then start the move North. Much more manageable than taking on the whole community at once. Seems to be working.

Any government that allows fishery openings to big business and special interest groups
and deny the public access should be voted out.
A Canadian resource should be shared by all Canadians not just select groups.
If the stocks need protection, all user groups should be treated equally.

The recreational ER on stocks of concern being shown via DNA is very low in many areas on BC coast and so far this scientific fact has done nothing to open up a fishery, even for a marked selective fishery. Look no further than the scientific evidence that shows only a 0.63% ER on stocks of concern in SoG. Great effort is in the works to change this. We however all know that other than there being stocks we do need to protect, this big mess we are in is very much about sector priority and 'rights'. How exactly and specifically those rights are percieved and acted upon brings up some legal questions. Despite consititutional rights, a question I hear being asked is; do those rights have full control of all salmon everywhere and even if they are created in a hatchery inthe USA or Canada? Can the public recreational fishery on Chinook be legally closed to retention of stable and healthy stocks that don't even return to the Fraser River system? What about hatchery Chinook that are created by the public for the public and funded by the public.... . Do constitutional rights give priority to the 113,000 Chinook we just released from our net pen project Chinook 3 weeks ago? Were they owned by another sector the second they swam away ?

The the reason the north is not closed to retention of Chinook for the recreational fishery up there is as I understand it, due to the commercial troll ( Area F ) being closed down. That closure of the commercial troll then provides those Chinook to head south to be caught in the FR FN FSC since FN would not be able to meet FSC needs to do their fisery being curtailed on the stocks of concern. As I understand FN then did not ' take issue' with that area having rec kept open. Sounds to me like basically a 'deal' happened and likely very much to do with what Whitebuck mentions.

So how is lobbying to close/'limit the chinook fishery areas with more restrictions going to get us out of this mess?
Actually I think the South is the Canary in the Coal mine for The Northern Fishery. Once the ENGO’s get their way in one area, they generally move on to the next. It’ll be no surprise to hear the argument being used by these same ENGO’s that the results of the closure warrant further closures. This will be made regardless of success, failure or the more than likely lack of info from the current closure

Next year it will be hard to argue with FN against a closure until all their needs are met now a precedent has been set. The closing of the fishery in the south that isn’t even part of the Fraser run should be concerning to people wherever they Fish. Clearly DFO believes the closure should encompass all stocks even another countries, so how do you argue that the North should be exempt?

I’m not wishing closure on anyone, just stating that it’s pretty clear where this is all headed. If you’re not subject to closure now, it’s coming. Any pressure on those impacted in the south to be quiet and accept their fate so as not to jeopardize other areas is IMO a very poor tactic. The weak reasons DFO is throwing out need to be challenged and exposed and that won’t happen if a large number of fishers are muzzled for fear of causing other fishers problems. Divide and Conquer, being quiet is akin to being conquered.

So do the Fraser salmon not pass through the areas that have remained open? If not no harm no foul, but if they do then to shut one part of migration totally down and allow business as usual in another part of the route seems somewhat silly and at best temporary. I asked DFO for any info they have on the migration route of Fraser Springs and so far have been ignored.
Frankly I think a lot of people have been duped into a very well orchestrated plan by DFO to divide and conquer. Slam shut one area and try and convince people to remain silent unless it actually impacts them is a clever way of picking areas off one at a time. Close the south, let them get used to it and then start the move North. Much more manageable than taking on the whole community at once. Seems to be working.

Not sure about your argument but my position is just because south coast got thrown under the bus we should not vote for north coast to come join us.

The recreational ER on stocks of concern being shown via DNA is very low in many areas on BC coast and so far this scientific fact has done nothing to open up a fishery, even for a marked selective fishery. Look no further than the scientific evidence that shows only a 0.63% ER on stocks of concern in SoG.

One needs to count the Harrison River Fall 4-1 as a stock of concern also as Area 14, my area, historically are here right now. Not happy that I can't retain any but that's the reality that we are living with. Would be nice if there was at least a marked fishery.
I would add that last year we say many 3 year old Harrison and very few 4 year olds. Was hoping that them 3 year olds would give us many 4 year old for this season.

Actually I think the South is the Canary in the Coal mine for The Northern Fishery. Once the ENGO’s get their way in one area, they generally move on to the next. It’ll be no surprise to hear the argument being used by these same ENGO’s that the results of the closure warrant further closures. This will be made regardless of success, failure or the more than likely lack of info from the current closure

Next year it will be hard to argue with FN against a closure until all their needs are met now a precedent has been set. The closing of the fishery in the south that isn’t even part of the Fraser run should be concerning to people wherever they Fish. Clearly DFO believes the closure should encompass all stocks even another countries, so how do you argue that the North should be exempt?

I’m not wishing closure on anyone, just stating that it’s pretty clear where this is all headed. If you’re not subject to closure now, it’s coming. Any pressure on those impacted in the south to be quiet and accept their fate so as not to jeopardize other areas is IMO a very poor tactic. The weak reasons DFO is throwing out need to be challenged and exposed and that won’t happen if a large number of fishers are muzzled for fear of causing other fishers problems. Divide and Conquer, being quiet is akin to being conquered.

Actually if you look at it from the perspective that the north was closed last year due to low returns to the Skeena system but has been reopened this year as returns are looking better there is some hope that science is dictating some measures within DFO. Their managers up there should be commended.

It is up to the general public to hold the politicians accountable this fall in federal election. The incoming government needs to know that the rec fishery cannot be used as a sacrificial lamb in order to appease special interest groups.

I actually think the initial post raises a few good points. The commercial recreational fleet has a much greater impact on stocks than local anglers, especially in places such as Haida Gwaii. Also, it would be interesting to see how much money is injected directly into the local ( Haida Gwaii) economy and what percentage of the employees are full time residents of the archipelago. When I briefly guided and used to go as a guest to these lodges I would say the anglers spent almost no dollars there and the number of locals employed was relatively low.

GLG, keep in mind most of the wild Harrison stock you think you are catching are in fact Unclipped C/V hatchery Harrison stock. With 90% unclipped coming from C/V hatchery how many are actually from the Harrison?
Hopefully in the future all and any hatchery Chinook and coho will clipped!

GLG, keep in mind most of the wild Harrison stock you think you are catching are in fact Unclipped C/V hatchery Harrison stock. With 90% unclipped coming from C/V hatchery how many are actually from the Harrison?
Hopefully in the future all and any hatchery Chinook and coho will clipped!
Yes I know that they are hatchery and agree we need to move to 100% clipped. Thanks for posting that.

Back