The time to speak up for our rights to salmon fish is now!

I agree she is fanatical, dedicated and a genius

However odd tho that the big ENGO's machine ate up her funding

To clarify, on one hand we have a department of the gov't proposing new regulations to limit the catch of Chinook due to decreasing numbers and/or lack of food for SRKW.

Meanwhile a ministry of the same gov't is found disobeying a court's ruling to obey the law and stop allowing infected fish to be placed in the marine environment. A situation that may well be contributing to the decline of stocks that now "require" new regulations.

Do as I say, not as I do is fascist, at its root.

So what would be involved with taking DFO and the Federal Government to court? Could someone like the Pacific Salmon Foundation do it? Sue to have the Cohen report recommendations implemented, sue for $500,000 000 year annual funding to open more hatcheries, do the restoration and science work they cut out?
We supposedly have 300 000 license holders in BC if we could get half of them to pony up $20.00 That would be a $3 000 000 fund to get things going

I for one would be more then happy to pony up more money for the cost of licenses stamps etc if I knew the money was going direct to PSF or SFI. I’m making a point this year and on to donate money directly to PSF and SFI. We pay so little for a license and stamp IMO. I do not trust having an increase in fees or stamps that the money will go where it is supposed to. Obviously the govt needs to put way way more of our taxpayer money into hatcheries restoration etc etc etc but all they have done is cut cut and cut so I have zero faith or trust in them and would rather give money direct. **** no matter what govt party we vote in they always cut funding or ignore all the issues so how can anybody trust them.

So what would be involved with taking DFO and the Federal Government to court? Could someone like the Pacific Salmon Foundation do it? Sue to have the Cohen report recommendations implemented, sue for $500,000 000 year annual funding to open more hatcheries, do the restoration and science work they cut out?

Unfortunately the gov't has deeper pockets than any funding we could come up with.
Any sort of trial could last years, exhausting our funds.
Gov't will never run out of money.

A court case would do several things.
1) It would draw international attention to the issue.
2) It would tell DFO and the Feds we have had enough
I would pay $20.00 per year to do this. Perhaps we could bring the First Nations on board. Rather than treating them adversaries, why not look for common ground and build from there. We are going to have to work with them in the future anyway.
On second thought, maybe the FN should bring the case with the Rec sector as interveniors

Perhaps one route would be an application for advance costs to avoid the govt running the matter into eternity. It won' t be easy to convince the court and it would need to be proven that the issues raised are of public importance not heard previously but this would be a high profile case so perhaps there is a qualified litigator who likes to fish willing to discuss it further.

Back