Guide Requirments

nedarb2

I think this has been talked out before but icant find it inthe search engine,
but what courses/requirments are there to become a legal fishing guide.
please craft card
first aid?
radio course?
naviagtion course?

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

I think this has been talked out before but icant find it inthe search engine,
but what courses/requirments are there to become a legal fishing guide.
please craft card
first aid?
radio course?
naviagtion course?

For a saltwater guide? You just have to make sure your knuckles don't drag on the ground LOL. It's pretty simple, you need:

Med IIIa
PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operators Card)
Restricted Radio Operators Card

An inspected boat if you have a CO number, there seems to be a grey area of weather or not you actually NEED a CO number. If you have the CO number, you need to be inspected.

You can get Med IIIA from Camosun College, or Heads Up Navigation, and the other two via Canadian Power Squadrons.

Took the MED IIIa this year in April and was told that it is now not required until April 2008.
Radio operators card is required. 2 nights for 3 hours and $80.
Take as many courses as you can afford to make sure you are confident and safe out there.

Tips

great thanks very much!
these courses/certificates dont exprire do they?
im just thinking over the winter i could take a few courses
so im able to say i could guide if the opportunity arose.
after being certified, do you need special insurance orr is the dfo boat inspection it?

"do you need special insurance or is the dfo boat inspection it?"

Not sure I would try to charter out of my own boat without checking around about insurance. Standard policy we all usually have may preclude or not cover you if you are using your own boat.
If you are "guiding" using another charter operators boat, such as out of one of the fishing lodges, they would have you covered.
Maybe some our members who are charter boat operators can give you advice.

I would have reworded the TC inspection description as "an initial inspection and the requirement to file an annual self-inspection checklist with TC having the right to inspect your boat in any subsequet year".

I would also not have made it sound so easy or inexpensive to get your boat to pass depending on the make/design/condition of your boat. They are now not just looking for safety gear they are checking that your boat is built to TC construction standards. The little details can cost you a lot of money depending on your boat and the inspector your draw... Just bringing your lifevests up to standard can cost a grand or two....

Sure you can run your guide boat without insurance. You can drive a car without insurance too, but like in a car if anything happens when your not insured you will be held liable. I don't know if paying someone for the rest of your life is worth not having insurance?

BTW does anyone know of an insurance company that would insure a boat that is 50 hp over the maximum hp rateing? the Boston Whaler I bought was set up with 450hp, max is 400.

This topic has been done to death this year....and It's only gonna get worse in the new year when most of the requirments become law.
I was still astonished this year about all the so called professionals that are on the water this year without proper inspections, lack of proper insurance for guiding as well as the simple one...proper commercial numbers on the vessel....
Besides the proper liability insurance...Most of this is either free now or very little money to run a proper outfit....
Anyways....apparently they will be out in full force next year checking all involved....I'll believe it when I see it.
I have to agree with most on this topic that shutting down the illegal guides from down south is just as much or more of an issue.
Just my two bits!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Robert Warren

BTW does anyone know of an insurance company that would insure a boat that is 50 hp over the maximum hp rateing? the Boston Whaler I bought was set up with 450hp, max is 400.

My insurance said the max was 145 ( never seen a 145hp outboard) and they said they made an exception for my 150.[xx(]
Go figure.

Back