Guide overboard in Kyuquot.

another tip after giving guests the safety tour of the boat is a laminated guide of the operation of the VHF radio,starting the boat,location of life ring,life raft,flares etc

I went on a charter out of Sooke a couple years back.
Before we even left the dock, the owner/guide showed us the radio and said:- "See this red switch? If I go overboard, first thing you do is press it".

It automatically sends a distress call and GPS location.

That could have been me, you, your kid or your best friend. Use this incident to motivate & make your boat safer.

How many of you guys have tried to climb back in your boat from the water, unassisted? Jump in and try it. The results may scare the crap out of you, like they did me.

We were swimming on a calm sunny freshwater lake 15 years ago. The boat was anchored and I swam out and get back on board, and barely managed to get in. My 10 yr. old daughter (a gymnastics monkey) could do it, my 15 year old athletic son and wife could not.

I was thinking if this was offshore, cold with any waves, I would not be able to get back on the boat. I immediately got a boarding ladder, and taught everyone how to unfold and use it.

Get a ladder, wear the life jacket, get a ditch kit, EPIRB, and educate everyone on the boat.

I've come back in the boat a couple of times via the outboard , using the cav plate as a stepping assist. Not all that easy but doable.

I didn't fall in. I jumped off and was swimming in a lake.

It said he removed his rubber boots. I saw a program about falling in the water and what to do. One of the things was to turn your boots upside down so they are filled with air and put them under your arms. Gives you some buoyancy. But nothing beats a life jacket though.
You think he would have learned that lesson 20 years ago.

Yes trying to climb into your own boat is an eye opener for sure. I put an extended ladder on the transom of mine after I tried. Can't remember the exact freeboard measurement but There's a max before boarding ladder becomes mandatory. Think it's 12" but don't take that as gospel

I would never take an 80 year old out in those conditions. Very very few even have the balance anymore to even stand up when the boat is being tossed around in those seas. Many of them have bad backs and can't handle the pounding to get to the fishing and back. One of the reasons I went to Nootka and fished the inside waters with long time older clientele. One of the few places with flat calm water through the entire day and epic numbers of big springs. The older guys really enjoyed those waters.

The cbc story makes this guy look pretty bad. It's a feel good story and great/amazing he survived but you'd think after 20 some years of guiding he would wear a life jacket, familiarize his guests better, make better weather calls (if it actually was SE 30) and so on. Hes already had one loss of life situation to draw from....

I just find it frustrating having a dozens of people risk their lives to search for someone that appears to be very careless. I don't mean to sound harsh and maybe this was just a bad day for an otherwise very professional person. Definitely a learning experience for everyone else at the very least.

I would never take an 80 year old out in those conditions. Very very few even have the balance anymore to even stand up when the boat is being tossed around in those seas. Many of them have bad backs and can't handle the pounding to get to the fishing and back. One of the reasons I went to Nootka and fished the inside waters with long time older clientele. One of the few places with flat calm water through the entire day and epic numbers of big springs. The older guys really enjoyed those waters.
I'm with you Rollie. I would rather get skunked that take someone that old out in those conditions.

Great outcome thankfully. Very good reason to complete the mandatory pre-trip safety briefing every time. Seems that a few guides are not always practicing this. The pre-trip safety briefing is the law, and designed for the safety of both passengers and captain. Good reminder to make sure everyone knows all the safety equipment and procedures because the person being saved might just be the guide.

I am one of those older guys (65). It sucks. Add-in the arthritis to make tying knots dreadful.

As in all accidents, especially serious ones like this one, and again,thank goodness it didn't turn into a tragedy, I'm sure there will be questions into how and why this happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again.
Some tough question coming in the near future for those involved. Again, EXTREMELY FORTUNATE, it didn't turn into a recovery of two bodies.

One question: Who rescued the 80 year old in the guide boat?

As in all accidents, especially serious ones like this one, and again,thank goodness it didn't turn into a tragedy, I'm sure there will be questions into how and why this happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again.
Some tough question coming in the near future for those involved. Again, EXTREMELY FORTUNATE, it didn't turn into a recovery of two bodies.

Matt Guiget

I think a boat from either Walters or Rugged Pt ran out and found the boat. There was a joint effort from the coast guard and a couple other boats who helped point him in the right direction to head to safety though. Everyone involved all played a pivotal role in the rescue.

I use this product and think anyone fishing offshore should have one. It gives you a chance if you do fall in. Not saying its the only solution, but, its a good start.

http://www.autotether.com/products.html

Like the idea and seriously considering getting one for the boat. I fish solo over 90% of the time and though I've never had an almost, no one expects to **** to hit the fan. Where'd you get yours? Need one for a 2015 yammy tiller.

I ordered it on line thru their website. I think it took a couple of weeks to get it. I've had it 4 years now....works like a charm. Mind you I haven't actually fallen over board in a live test situation. But I have tested it by tossing it in the water.

Back