Guide overboard in Kyuquot.

Glad to here the guide is ok. Wish him the best. Kudos to all involved in a difficult and dangerous recovery. The guys doing the rescues go above and beyond. Luckily this one had a happy ending.

So glad this turned out a happy ending..brings back scary memories from having been tossed overboard by my guests wanting to come over to my side to watch me net their fish as a teen "guide" in big sea up north. No radio, pre gps, and SMALL open boats. Luckily I went in with the net(with fish) and was able to pass them the handle so they could pull me in..
Long cold ride home, never told a soul about it, but was I happy I was in the mustang suit that day...at least the lodge provided those for us.

Spent a few other times in the water in them suits..they aren't just body finders, they do keep ya warm, for a bit.

Great job by all those involved in saving this mans life, he is a lucky dude to still be with us. I'm sure the warmer sea water contributed to him surviving the time he spent in the water....very lucky! the story as told above does bring up an important point. I was told by Transport Canada during a coarse taken that your navigation aids must be on and operating while operating your passenger vessel. The ability to send out a quick GPS position with your DCS -VHF radio is compromised if the GPS/plotter is not on. In a serious emergency you are likely not going to have the time to wait for your electronics to start up and lock onto a signal and position. If the unit is on at all times it is easy to show clients ahead of time what to do in the event of an emergency that incapacitates the crew.

Great job by all those involved in saving this mans life, he is a lucky dude to still be with us. I'm sure the warmer sea water contributed to him surviving the time he spent in the water....very lucky! the story as told above does bring up an important point. I was told by Transport Canada during a coarse taken that your navigation aids must be on and operating while operating your passenger vessel. The ability to send out a quick GPS position with your DCS -VHF radio is compromised if the GPS/plotter is not on. In a serious emergency you are likely not going to have the time to wait for your electronics to start up and lock onto a signal and position. If the unit is on at all times it is easy to show clients ahead of time what to do in the event of an emergency that incapacitates the crew.
Geez that's a really good point Profisher. I usually turn off my main Furono up front cause it draws so much power but that is where my GPS signal comes for my DCS-VHS. It takes quite a while to boot up too. Will keep it on from now on.
Another good point is I hear only a very small percent of DCS-VHS radios are actual registered and programmed with their MMSI numbers. Go online and register and then input the number into your radio. I purchased a used boat and the radio had never been registered.

I really hope this guy is ok but I did not read in any of these previous posts that he is fine. They found him barely breathing and a weak pulse 10 minutes from death. He must have been extremely hypothermic and a very low core body temperature. Sometimes they cannot warm people back up and their core temp keeps falling. Hopefully they were able to re-warm him and he will make a full recovery. Does anyone know of his current condition?
Have to say when fishing solo that is one of my greatest fears.....falling overboard and watching the boat sail away.

Great job by all those involved in saving this mans life, he is a lucky dude to still be with us. I'm sure the warmer sea water contributed to him surviving the time he spent in the water....very lucky!.
Water temp up there right now is about 55.6 degrees F. Not really conducive to a long exposure time. I think the guy's conditioning may be a bigger contributor. I suspect he may have had some contributing clothing he was wearing as well.

In addition to an EPIRB, I also have a couple of Gumby exposure suits. All I need to do is get them all in the liferaft and I would be ok. That may be a tall task in really bad seas.

I really hope this guy is ok but I did not read in any of these previous posts that he is fine. They found him barely breathing and a weak pulse 10 minutes from death. He must have been extremely hypothermic and a very low core body temperature. Sometimes they cannot warm people back up and their core temp keeps falling. Hopefully they were able to re-warm him and he will make a full recovery. Does anyone know of his current condition?
Have to say when fishing solo that is one of my greatest fears.....falling overboard and watching the boat sail away.
I posted a link to an article where Doug Rodgers said the guide wanted to come back to work the next day, so yeah, seems like he's absolutely fine.

wow , great outcome. This guy was minutes away from death , the rescuers were NOT volunteers though they were part of the inshore Rescue Boat program http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/SAR/IRB-Background. The 20 minute time difference of calling out volunteers would have meant certain death for this guy. Money well spent , thankfully we now have a IRB boat in Victoria for the summer.

beemer

wow , great outcome. This guy was minutes away from death , the rescuers were NOT volunteers though they were part of the inshore Rescue Boat program http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/SAR/IRB-Background. The 20 minute time difference of calling out volunteers would have meant certain death for this guy. Money well spent , thankfully we now have a IRB boat in Victoria for the summer.

beemer

You are obviously correct.

I was mistaken! They were not volunteers at all. The IRB crew was a coxswain from the Laurier, a second year FSWEP student and a new navel reserve cadet.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Hero's all of them

another tip after giving guests the safety tour of the boat is a laminated guide of the operation of the VHF radio,starting the boat,location of life ring,life raft,flares etc

Makes you think that inventing a kill switch with a proximity FOB, like car keys, would be a good idea. Guide or captain wears the fob, falls overboard, boat travel 30 feet and then proximity switch activates and shuts down the motors.

Makes you think that inventing a kill switch with a proximity FOB, like car keys, would be a good idea. Guide or captain wears the fob, falls overboard, boat travel 30 feet and then proximity switch activates and shuts down the motors.
While that would help in decent conditions Bruce, I think the key factor in this scenario is drift speed. In those winds the boat will be travelling much faster downwind than the guide can catch up to.

sorry but could the old boy just not grab the wheel and tack back
not that its going to be easy dragging a guy back in abroad.
boats are not that hard drive....
and he could of been out of the water a lot sooner ....

^^^^ Exactly WTH ?? 80 years on this earth and he has never seen a steering wheel ?? Do circles around the guy and put the boat in neutral. What was the old guy looking at when he went out. I get it that things happen fast and people panic but come on !!

Can't really blame the old guy who ended up alone in a boat in a crazy scary unexpected situation. At least he didn't curl up in a fetal position. He was able to figure out how to make a radio call, threw items overboard to try to help the guide, etc. 2-3 meter seas in 35knot winds, which way would he have even tacked or gone to safely turn boat around in those seas. By all accounts he lost sight of the guy not too long after he fell in. Panic just takes over at that point for most folks, regardless of the "I would haves" we all play through our heads reading a story like that. Heard from a reputable SAR source that the zodiac crew found the guide in a random patch of warmer water with a sunfish spotted floating nearby. Would help explain the 3 hour survival time. Will to survive were key too no doubt as the guide says he didn't have a PFD on, he gave it to his guest to wear that day. He was quoted as saying he'll never go out without wearing one now. He was back on the water guiding today apparently.

Inflatables are like under 100 bucks now when they go on sale. They don't get in the way, are comfortable, don't overheat you. Everyone on my boat wears one, I don't carry PFD vests so by law they have to wear the inflatable on open deck so nobody argues with that. They forget they are wearing them half the time and end up in the truck end of day still wearing it.

^^^^ Exactly WTH ?? 80 years on this earth and he has never seen a steering wheel ?? Do circles around the guy and put the boat in neutral. What was the old guy looking at when he went out. I get it that things happen fast and people panic but come on !!

Last edited:
We couldn't see boats 2-300 ft away between the 6 foot waves and moderate swells, not to mention high winds and occasional white cap. It was bad enough that an inexperienced person could have taken a wave over the side broadside while turning. Given the conditions I'm sure he lost sight of the guide quickly.

Yikes glad to hear it turned out ok! Pretty crazy story.

If the conditions are actually as you described then you should not be offshore especially in a 20 foot centre console???? I always shake my head watching weekend warriors try to force the weather to catch fish when guides aren't even considering it.

I was there for the 4 days just previous to the incident and we were on the road out of fair harbour when this incident took place. We experienced the exact same conditions 13 miles out on the Friday before this happened (6 -8 foot NW swell with 3 foot SE wind waves, 30 - 35 SE winds torrential downpours of horizontal rain and zero visibility). Felt like being in a washing machine and being tossed in every direction. While we never felt unsafe, we also knew that if conditions got any worse we could have been in for a tougher trip coming back in than we had. One of the boats in our crew dodged a bullet being out there. He has a 20 foot ctr console. It rained so hard that the electronics got soaked, his VHF microphone quit working and he could no longer transmit and no one knew exactly where he was. On the trip in from the 13 mile bank, there was not a lot of witty banter between the crew......Not only that, but on a gas trip into fair harbour, his hydraulic steering had a fitting let loose and he lost all steering. Fortunately he was only 50 feet from the dock when it happened.

We are now going to to a much better job of staying with each other when we are out in the less optimal conditions and maintaining radio connection through MMSI, DSC. PFD's will also be worn and everyone on board will know how to operate the VHF and GPS to get coordinates out as quickly as possible. Personally I run overkill on safety equipment (including 6 person liferaft), but I think maybe it may be giving a false sense of security. Having it all on board and using it properly are not necessarily in synch.

This incident gives me something more to learn from.

As a footnote, there were no fish in close to shore and the only place where the fishing was reliable was at the 50 fathom mark (between 12 and 15 miles offshore). This is when the more risky behaviour becomes more commonplace and we take these chances. I want to make sure my epitaph does NOT say "he was looking for bigger fish"...........

Back