Guidance on Stingers

Big Zeke

How many of you folks run stinger hooks on anchovy teasers and cut plug? If so what hook sizes are you running? I've got a few teaser heads set up with a 5/0 circle hook up front and a 3/0 VMC treble as a stinger (about 5" behind) not sure why but it looks odd to me. Overall length is about 60".

Any input or guidance is appreciated.
Zeke

hey zeke, the most common way to do it is a treble up front and a single trailer hook. You'll find that a treble on the back end will add too much weight and effect your roll, especially when you use smaller anchovies.

Also mixing circles and regular style hooks doesn't really make sense either.

I have been known to run a stinger or two! :D

I agree with Poppa, why are you running circle and treble combination? If anything, those hooks should be reversed? Your combination should look odd! It is a little different! And a 3/0 treble? Why, that's an awfully big hook? On cut plug… 2 singles, loose the treble all together, your action will be better!

My stingers are anywhere from 3/0-5/0, singles. I do not and will not use a treble as stinger! I have found the "point" of the trailing hook should be right at or just behind the tail of the bait, regardless of bait size. If you want the stinger farther behind the front hook… get bigger bait, but keep that point close to the tail! If you use a stinger it will be the catching hook about 90% of the time. That is an opinion! [:0]

I do usually use a treble as the front hook (1/0) and that does help with controlling the action on the bait, but that is also trade off. Leader length of 60" probably fine, but it really depends on where and what you are fishing for. There is a lot of times my leader length is 10 feet!

Thanks for the info...I just tied up the treble in front and circle in back and it looks more normal (whatever normal is in tackle). This is just for a teaser head, on cut plug I always tie 2 circles. I'll start tying them long (perhaps 10') it will be easier to shorten than retie while on the water.

I really appreciate the constructive input.

Zeke

I have tried all sorts of ties over the years. I have tried cutting the fin off and crimped in a stainless wire. This is great for a custom roll. I have tried rigging a dacron stinger using a smaller treble at the back. What I have come up with however as my favorite is a #2 barbless steelhead hook snelled on to the line. Then about 2" up I will snell a standard sized main treble onto the line. Thread the business end on through the head and use a polymar knot to tie on a bead chain swivel. That has always served me well.

Keep in mind that one point of the treble is buried just behind the dorsal on the lateral line. The stinger is no longer than the caudal fin. I never bury it into the bait. It simply flops free. Actually it never really flops any ways because it lies flat against the bait and is on the inside of the roll.

HL

Back