Grizz attack on island

WHOAAA I live in Woss....kinda sketchyyyy. I can't believe it...or at least find it hard to believe...maybe a cinnamon? Either way...sketched out.

They swim accross from the mainland, it's not that far at some points mid island. Heard one got shot not far from Sayward a couple of years back. Go Grizz go.

A couple of years ago we had a mama and her 2 kids on Craycroft pt. very bizarre to see them there as it was very close to the johnstone strait and for them to swim to VI would not be that hard.Heard of a rumor that there are at least 10 of them on VI now and they are going up to take care of them.

Saw a nice Boar grizz on the west beach on Craycroft last Thursday. Not far from there to the big Island.

Should make for a few pucker holes on the Island Blackies!!!!!

Yes kelly it is just south of Telegraph cove and is the beginning of johnstone strait there are two island and they are quite large a east and a west craycroft.
We have our float lodge on west craycroft about 5 mins from the most western tip of the island down baronet passage just look it up on a chart you will see it.

Good luck wolf

quote:Originally posted by Concerned Angler

Geeze-- are you a bunch of wimps that are scared of bears????? Respect them, learn to co-exist and carry a 300 Win mag and there is no problem.................. Seriously, Vancouver Island is a big place and a few griz shouldnt be a problem...
I remember fishing the Kildala and Dala Rivers in Kitimat and seeing 25 Grizzly in a couple of hours. I was born and hunted in Grizzly territory. Nothing like hunting and being hunted by a big Grizz.

I asked some guys at the local coffee shop here in Tahsis today if they had heard about the Grizzly sighting in Woss. One of them said that a bunch of loggers had seen one last year as it crossed the road in front of them. He said that normally, he would never have believed it except that he was in the back seat and he saw it too.

From what he told me, I believe him that it was indeed a Grizzly. Brown fur, large "unmistakable" hump, larger than a normal Black Bear, which these guys see almost every day around here.

This is the third or fourth Grizzly on the island that has been seen in a few years. I just wonder how many are out patrolling Strathcona that people haven't seen yet. Should be a good breeding population here by now. CA has it right (less the wimps part). Our Newf is bigger than most island Blacks and you just need to be aware of your surroundings.

Leave the iPod at home when you venture out.

Back